Chapter 19

"Let's get one thing straight," said Curtis in reply to the man's comments. "I never gave you permission to hassle my wife."

"Then, we beg your pardon, but she did agree to the meeting and may I remind you; she did come of her own volition. That's not why I asked you here this afternoon," he said studying Curtis carefully. "You may not realise, but your stories seem to have the effect of acting as a wake-up call to your readers, and that, as you know, concerns us."

"Well, maybe that's why I'm so damn popular!"

"Hmm, well you don't fool us ... I think you know what I mean." There was a lull in the conversation while they continued to measure each other up. Then, he continued, "who are you? Or should I say what are you!"

"I'm sorry, I didn't catch the name," replied Curtis deflecting the conversation.

"Ken, now please indulge me by answering the question." He sat there half blinded by the setting sun, shielding his eyes, trying to focus. Curtis, on the other hand just sat there smiling, not attempting to respond to the question. Whether it was the sun playing tricks on Ken's eyes, but there were moments when he looked where Curtis was sitting, and all he could see was an empty chair. He looked around, but when he turned back, Curtis was sitting there. Ken felt light-headed. Sights and sounds became distant, but still Curtis sat there unmoving and smiling.

***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***

A group gathered on the sidewalk peering down. The body of Ken lay strewn on the pavement. A circle of onlookers was broken up when a Curtis asked everyone to "stand back and give him some air." He then bent down, picked him up, and carried him away. Everyone stood, looking on, bemused. "How did he do that?" Said one. "That guy must be all of 180 pounds."

"He made it look so simple, didn't he?" said another as they watched Curtis, nonchalantly carry Ken's body down the street to a waiting ambulance.

"I found him in the street, unconscious. I think he needs help. Can I leave him with you?" said Curtis.

The paramedic opened the rear of the vehicle and dropped the steps. Curtis climbed, and lowered Kens limp body down onto the bed. He turned to face the paramedic who, like the others, stood looking on wearing a confused expression on his face. "You may want to give him this when he comes around," said Curtis handing him his card. "Tell him I won't be requiring his services any longer," stuffing a twenty-dollar bill into the paramedic's pocket.

"Okay."

"You never saw me bring Ken's body to you, is that correct?" Said Curtis holding the paramedics stare.

The medic man slavishly nodded.

Curtis walked back down the steps and soon disappeared amongst the evening crowds.

***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***   ***

"Curtis was right; what he said the other day," said Anya stretched out on the backseat of her car.

"About what?" Jake said, peering at her from between the front seats.

"What was it he said? 'I'm not the man you think I am.' I Didn't consider it much at the time. I mean, it was an odd thing to say, but then I got thinking; there was a period in his life that he rarely talks about. Whatever went on then sure brought a change in him."

"In what way?"

"It was right at the beginning of our relationship. I'd only been out with him a few times. It was at the end of the semester at college, he turned up one day and announced he was off. "