The first stop that Marston and Langley made upon arriving in town was Doctor Brinkley's office to send a wire and money to the bank in Millerton. Doctor Brinkley insisted that Rose usually sent her payment directly to Winston Meade but Marston had refused and demanded it be sent to the bank.

When Marston and Langley stepped into the H&H Mercantile the boy's eyes widened. "I can really get mama anything I want?"

Marston nodded as he walked to the case where the guns and ammunition were kept. "Yep. Whatever you want."

Marston knew exactly what he was going to do for Langley for Christmas. He was going to fix up that gun of Langston's. The boy was constantly rambling on about that gun and had even shown it to him more than once. Marston had known instantly that the gun was a good one and just needed to be cleaned, oiled and worked with. He knew he could have it working good come Christmas.

"Well, my stars! If it ain't Marston back again," Hester sneered as she came breezing in from the back office and pushed her giant spectacles up on her thin nose. Her cow eyes blinked several times as she stared up at him. "I see you finally got rid of that horrid beard."

Marston put on his smoothest smile and leaned against the counter. "Hello there, Hester. How did I survive live without gazing upon you all these months?"

"Probably about the same way I survived without the sight of you," she sniffed. "Tell me, are you still keeping the Widow Howell company?"

"Sure am," Marston replied, refusing to let he woman's mouth get under his skin. "I would like to purchase a few items.. that is if you ladies have figured out that's how a store works."

"Of course we do, sir," Hattie assured him, waddeling in on her stump-like legs. "Tell me, how is Rose? Are you still carrying her supplies?"

'I say we hit her right in the nose,' that voice chimed in. 'Or would hers be considered a snout?'

'Aren't you my conscience? Shouldn't you be telling me not to hit her?' Marston demanded.

'What the hell gave you that idea? I just like to make you talk to yourself.'

Marston let out a cough to cover his chuckle and shook his head to clear his rambling thoughts. "Nice to see you again, Hattie. You're looking well. You know my Rose is a real good seamstress. I'm sure she'd be able to let that dress out a foot or two."

"Well I never!" Hattie exclaimed, covering her heart with a meaty hand.

The charming grin never left Marston's face. "Now ladies if you'll be so kind..."

"Tell me, Marston, are you going to make an honest woman out of that trollop or simply live in sin with her forever?" Hester inquired.

Marston's patience snapped. He slammed his fist upon the counter with so much force, the dried fruit rack fell and scattered across the floor. Hester and Hattie both leapt backward and Langley gasped from across the store.

Marston's golden eyes flashed. "Your bravery is commendable, ladies. Not many grown men have the nerve to rile me." Marston leaned closer and lowered his voice. "There's a good damn reason for that too and it's a reason you sisters are gonna learn all too well if you speak another ill word about my woman."

"Yeah you witches need to leave my mama alone," Langley agreed.

Hester's jaw trembled while Hattie's wobbled. "Of course," Hattie whispered politely. "We apologize. My sister and I were out of line."

"Glad we could agree on that," Marston snarled. He turned his attention to Langley who was watching him as if he were some kind of hero. It turned Marston's stomach to be looked at in such a manner. "Aren't you supposed to be finding something for your mama?" he grumbled and Langley quickly went back to searching.