"But why were you worried?"

"Why?" Marston shook his head. "Because you've been damned sick woman. If you'd have stayed asleep just a few more hours you would have been three days unconscious in your bed. I showed up here a few days ago and you were delirious with fever in your bed and poor Langley was scared to death. I sent him after the doc and the doc said you have a lung infection...."

Rose groaned. "You sent for the doc?"

"Yes." Marston's golden eyes narrowed. "And you need to get to explaining why you didn't do so sooner."

Rose's stomach clenched as a loud growl came from deep within it. She grimaced and laid her hand over her middle. "Can I eat before you scold me?"

Marston grumbled unintelligibly under his breath as he stood straight. "I'll bring you something. You have to stay in this bed. The doc said you need rest. He'll be by today to check on you again but I can tell already that your breathing sounds better. So you stay in this bed and let me get your food. The doc said it could be weeks until you're feeling strong again."

"Weeks?!" Rose exclaimed, whimpering when pain tore through her lungs.

Marston laid a gentle hand on her dirty hair. "Calm yourself, woman," he warned, the sternness in his voice not matching the tenderness in his touch.

"But Marston.. I can't stay in this bed for weeks. I have things to do."

"No you don't," Marston quickly replied. He squared his shoulders and Rose knew she had met her match in stubbornness. "I'm here now and I'll take care of things. Now, let me go get you something for that stomach."

"Marston?" Rose called, stopping him in the doorway.

He turned and raised his brow. "What?"

Rose fidgeted and toyed with the sheet covering her. "How long.. how long do you plan on staying for?"

Marston gripped the door frame and his eyes dropped to his boots. "For as long as you'll have me, Rose."

Rose found this display of nervousness from the large men endearingly sweet and his words were not lost on her. For as long as she'd have him? She could hardly believe this was happening at all. Perhaps she was still unconscious and this was merely a fever induced dream.

She smiled. "Forever should do."

Marston's head rose instantly and Rose nearly slapped herself for saying such a foolish thing. Surely the man would run screaming for the hills!

But instead, the hint of a smile curved his lips and he nodded before turning and walking out of her bedroom. He returned several minutes later with a steaming bowl in his hands and an excited Langley on his heels.

"Mama! You're awake!" Langley exclaimed.

Rose hugged him tight when he threw his arms around her neck. "I'm sorry I scared you, baby."

"I'm not a baby, mama," Langley countered, pulling away from her. "Marston is teaching me how to be a man. He's taught me all kinds of stuff since he came back."

"Really?" Rose asked.

Marston grunted and used his elbow to nudge Langley to the side. Marston kicked the chair closer to the bed and took a seat. "Give your mama some breathing room, boy," he scolded but Rose could see his affection for her son shining in his eyes and the sight of it caused Rose's heart to swell with love for the outlaw.

Marston sat the bowl on the table and helped Rose to sit up, propped against her pillows. "Why am I so weak and floppy?" she grumbled, unaccustomed to needing help doing anything.