Chapter 6: The Perfect Family

Start from the beginning

"Greenwoods just went through an adoption. Took official custody two months ago. Can't get the name of the biological mother, Give me two more minutes" Winnie then says through the headset. Alex nods her head and sighs. "That's why the concern, it's hers. They probably want their baby back, but the law clearly states that the parents only have three weeks to change their mind" Alex explains. "Team, neighbours just called in Greenwood's minivan. Silver, light grey BMW just pulled away" Winnie says quickly and panicked.

Alex looks down the street and notices the car stopped at a stop sign. "I got them. Right here in the intersection" she explains. "If they run, you ram them before they leave the scene" Eddie demands. "Copy that" Alex agrees. Alex pushes down the gas pedal slowly and the van quickly speeds into the intersections. "Alex! Possible baby on board. Stand down" Greg quickly yells.

Alex quickly turns her steering wheel as the BMW almost hits their bumper. Alex hangs on to the steering wheel as the truck slides on the icy road and slowly stops. Alex sits there breathing heavily as she stares out her window and watches the team speed by. "You okay?" Wordy asks. "Yeah. You?" Alex smiles. "Perfect" Wordy states. "Team One, we've got a vehicular pursuit. Standard formation to start, but if there's a baby on board, It changes everything. Parker, you good to go?" Eddie questions. "Let's go" Alex says, as she backs up the truck and turns around, following behind Spike and Lou.

Team One races behind the Grey BMW quickly in a straight line. "I'm GPSing the area now" Eddie advises. "Okay, if they have the baby we're limited here. No road spikes, no collisions, no shooting out the tires" Alex admits loudly. "Units at the house confirm, baby's been taken" Winnie says. "Ed, how about a rolling roadblock?" Greg questions. "Negative. We've got a school zone coming up. Can you or Alex make contact?" Eddie asks.

"Copy. Winnie, I want to know who these folks are" Alex answers. "Okay. Two names, Jessie Wyeth and Terry, no surname yet. Wyeth's nineteen, biological mother. Gave her baby up two months ago" Winnie explains. "Possible Postpartum Depression, Separation Anxiety, or maybe Psychosis. How about the male?" Alex questions curiously. "Nothing yet, I'm on it" Winnie answers quickly. "Okay, does she have parents of her own we can contact?" Alex then asks. "Wyeth's mother's listed as deceased, three years ago. Overdose. No father I can find. This girl is alone, Except for that guy and this baby" Winnie addresses. "I'm turning onto Bayview" Wordy announces as Alex watches him turn down a side street. "Winnie, patch me through the headset" Alex demands. "Copy."

The ringing comes through the headset and the rest of the team turns off their mics. "Hello?" the female voice answers scared as the baby cries loudly. "Hi, my name is Sergeant Alex Parker. I'm with the Police Strategic Response Unit. Am I speaking with Jessie Wyeth?" Alex questions. "Yes.
I'm so sorry, you'll have to speak up here" Jessie replies. "Oh, it sounds like you've got your hands full over there. That's a hungry cry" Alex smiles. "How do you know?" Jessie asks confused. "I'll never forget that sound. I helped take care of my cousin a lot. Everytime he cried like that, he was hungry. Your baby wants a bottle, Jessie. What's your baby's name?" Alex asks curiously. "His name's Owen" Jessie screams over the baby's crying. "Owen? That's adorable. So, what do you say Jessie, We all stop, get Owen some formula? Maybe you can tell us your side of things?" Alex states. "No, we have the formula in the diaper bag. But, Terry says we can't stop until we have a lawyer" Jessie admits. "Okay, I can work on that, But it'll be a lot easier for me to do if we aren't speeding down the highway. It'd be a lot safer too....for Owen" Alex explains.

There is a slight pause and all you could hear is the baby crying. "Terry, I think we should stop" Jessie's voice then says. "What's she saying to you? Whatever she's saying, you know she's lying" Terry screams frustratedly. "No, she's just saying we should stop and be safe for Owen" Jessie argues. "Yeah, and then we stop and they get him. Where do you think he's going? You wanna call Tami and ask her right now?" Terry screams. "No! He's not going to TamI's" Jessie yells back. "Yeah, 'cuz I'm not going to let that happen! Now hang up the phone!...Hang up the phone, Jessie!" Terry snaps. Jessie puts the phone back up to her ear and sighs. "Okay, I'm sorry" she says. "Jessie, don't hang up" Alex pleads. "Please, we need a lawyer...Shh, it's okay" Jessie says and then the phone gets disconnected and Team One turns back on their mic's.