~4~

"Sorry if I started you dear, I have a habit of forgetting to knock," he apologized kindly.

    At a loss for words, I forced myself to say something.  "A-Ah um, Y-Your Highness, forgive me- no, um I mean," I stuttered, sighing at my own embarrassment. Great job (Y/N), what a first impression.

     "It's fine, I was just getting some fresh air is all." I said bowing awkwardly. Wait... ladies are supposed to curtsy...

    I lifted my head expecting to see a look of confusion or annoyance, but I found neither. Instead he looked amused.

   "Why so nervous dear?" He asked childishly.

    "Sorry your Highness, I just, wasn't expecting anyone out here, especially a prince, and one who isn't currently at his own ball!" I replied shooting a glance at the door, more specifically the direction in which the ball was occurring. He chuckled lightly at my comment.

    "To be honest, I'm not a big fan of fancy balls either, and it isn't as easy to slip by with all those maidens trying to throw themselves at you. But while I was doing so, I saw you out here and figured you could use the company."

While he was talking, I studied his appearance closely. Aside from his crown, there was a fox mask draped beside it, which I assumed somehow fit in with the theme, since the guards all wore a similar style. Below his dark locks were vibrant green eyes of a shade I had never seen before, and oddly captivating.

    When I stopped examining his face, I realized how silent it was, aside from a murmur of crickets. I looked back at Prince Adrian to see his eyes fixed on something, me. We had both been scanning each other.

I flinched for a second when I realized he was staring at me. He must've noticed my discomfort, for he looked away and scratched the back of his head.

     "Sorry, I didn't mean to stare, I was simply admiring your beauty," he charmed. I felt the heat rise to my cheeks as I flushed red.

   "Oh, It's fine Y-Your Highness." I stuttered.

"It was great to be in your company, but I do believe I must head back," He said as he took ahold of my hand and kissed the back of it. "A pleasure to meet you."

     "The pleasure was all mine," I replied with confidence.

The Prince headed for the doors and opened one for himself, but stopped before closing it behind him.

     "You know, I think you should come back to the ball, (Y/N), I would feel better knowing you were at least enjoying the occasion. Take care."

"Thank yo- Wait what?" I asked confused, but he had already closed the door.

Desperate confusion racked my brain. I wanted to run after him and ask him how he knew my name, but I stopped myself. How does he know my name? Does he know me? I'm just a commoner why does he know who I am?!

    I started feeling nauseous as my mind began spinning. I placed a hand on the railing to regaining my balance. I slumped over the balcony for a minute, holding my head. I should really go, I just need to stop by a restroom first.

    I cautiously walked towards the exit but the door was opened before I could touch the handle. I glanced up to see the guard from before, smiling meekly under his mask. He opened his mouth to speak, but I cut in. "I'm sorry but do you happen to know where the washroom is?"