The supper

When the carriage at last arrived at Midgrove Manor, Louisa saw no change in the manners of Lord Hiddleston. He stepped quickly out of the carriage and then waited without giving any inclination as to help out his wife.

A snort almost escaped Louisa, but she managed to contain it within herself as she collected her few belongings and then proceeded outside the carriage with all the grace and poise she could muster.

Barely had she, however, cleared the step from the carriage, before her arm was grabbed and thrust into that of Lord Hiddleston who strode at a vicious pace towards the manor, offering Louisa very slim chances at maintaining her dignity. At this time, Louisa was grateful for her long legs, as a woman of lower stature would positively have had to break into a run to keep up.

As the wedded couple strode up to the main door, Louisa finally gave into a genuine smile as she saw the well known figure of Mr. Nixon standing in the doorway. She became acutely aware of the letter still hidden within her bodice. She was sad that she could not yet thank Mr. Nixon for whatever content it might hold, but the secrecy he had deemed necessary when passing it to her, let her know that it should not be read in public. So far she had not been alone for one single moment and had indeed had no chances to become familiar with the content of the message.

Mr. Nixon bowed to the couple as they came up, not smiling but with a warm expression. "Lord Hiddleston, Lady Hiddleston, may I congratulate you both on this occasion."

Louisa suppressed a small laugh. Everyone of all the fine people would congratulate them on the happy occasion, but Mr. Nixon cleverly left out the more unfit word of appraisal. He was always a sensible man.

Lord Hiddleston hardly slowed down in order to tip his hat at the butler before proceeding inside.

At this point Louisa had had enough of the arrogance this man showed. Yes, he might be hurting profoundly, but so was she herself, involuntarily being thrust into his path when she had no wish to be there. She believed herself capable of handling such an emotional display, but to treat a man like Mr. Nixon in this manner, even if he was but a mere servant, was more than she could tolerate.

She gracefully but firmly relieved her arm from under that of her husband and stopped before the butler who showed to struggle a great deal to maintain his usual composure upon facing this rather defiant act of the daughter of this very house.

Louisa however thought little of it and gave a respectful nod with her head towards the butler. "Why, thank you, Mr. Nixon. I trust that all is in order for the celebration?"

Mr. Nixon bowed towards Louisa. "Indeed it is, milady." Then he rose and gestured for the couple to walk further inside. "If you would be so kind as to proceed a little further, the maid shall take care of you."

Louisa nodded once more and then proceeded to her husband. His broad face displayed a diverse variety of emotions, a mix of surprise, anger and confusion. It appeared that the man had not at all expected his wife to divert from his directions. But the emotions were only visible for a short while as his face soon turned as indifferent as it had been before.

Louisa, however, stored this particular incident into her mind. It would seem that Lord Hiddleston could be surprised by her bluntness. If she could play her cards right and not overstep and so make him truly angry, she might be able to show him that she was not just some nicely dressed doll.

With a calm air she put her arm back into his and attempted a small smile towards him. "It is customary to greet Mr. Nixon when entering this house," she informed with such a calm voice that she herself could not grasp how on Earth she had attained it.