Chapter 12: Breakfasts and Walks

Start from the beginning

When I'm finished with my shower, I step out and dry off with the towel I left on the counter. I also brought my clothes in so I could put on clean ones and not have to walk around in a towel. Usually, if I didn't have 8 other people here and it was only me, I would probably put my old clothes back on. But I don't want anyone to worry, especially Thomas and Eliza, so I don't do that.

When I walk out, I see Thomas going into our room to change. He must have just woken up. He's wearing sweatpants and no shirt. I blush a bit at his bare chest. His hair is adorably frizzy and there's lingering tiredness in his eyes.

"Morning, love." I say, kissing him on the chin. He smiles at me.

"Morning. How'd you sleep, darling?" He asks and I reply that I woke up about an hour earlier and took a shower. He shakes his head and laughs,

"Alexander, you may be the only person I know who wakes up so early on a day they aren't going to school and don't go back to sleep." I just laugh a little. Truth be told, I'm an insomniac and after everything I've been through, sleep just wasn't an option for a while. We walk out and see Hercules making food on the stove. Everyone's awake now, but they look exhausted. I ask the question regarding what I know each of them is thinking of right about now: coffee.

"Anyone else want coffee?" I ask and everybody shoots up and nods at the mention. I make 3 pots. There's only 9 of us and I know we won't drink 3, but I have a feeling I'll want some later. In a few minutes, everyone's gathered around our small table with coffee, pancakes and sausage. It's nice to have everyone here. After we eat, everyone seems a lot more... alive, I guess. They jump into action, showering and dressing quickly so they aren't late to class. Maria and Eliza are done first, and emerge from the hallway like Thomas and I often do, hand in hand. They're such an adorable couple. I'm so happy for Eliza. She really deserves someone who'll treat her right, and Maria is definitely that person.

When everybody is ready to go, they grab their bags and we walk as a huge, kick ass group to the main campus where classes are. Eliza hugs Thomas and I. I see her lips move as she whispers something to him. I assume it's something about making sure I don't throw myself off a bridge or something. Thomas nods and I hear Eliza say thank you. She hugs us again and everyone waves a goodbye. When they get inside, Thomas and I walk together back to the dorm.

"So... what now?" I ask. Thomas shrugs. I know he won't want to stay home all day like I do. I never want to go anywhere during times like these.

"I was thinking we go to the park since not very many people will be there. It'll be good for you to get fresh air. Then we can go to lunch. Eliza texted and said her and Maria were going to SmashBurger." He tells me. I'm worried about going out and panicking, but I took my pills today, so I should be fine. I nod my head yes and he smiles and pulls me into a hug. Why does everyone hug me so much?

"I love you so much. I know this is hard but I just want you to get better." He tells me. I get on my tiptoes and kiss him.

"I love you more. And, it is hard, but I'm trying to get better. For you, for Eliza, for John, for Laf and Herc, for my parents. Thank you." I reply, truly grateful to have the most amazing (and attractive) man in my life. We go to the park and sit on a wooden bench near a tree. The sunlight is pouring down and making Thomas's face glow. I pull on his hair a little and twist his curls around my finger. I lean my head on his shoulder and we sit there for a while, just letting the sunlight embrace us. But then, Thomas sees the ducks.

"Oh my God, Alex! There's ducks here, holy shit!" A mother looks over at us, scowling at the sound of Thomas cursing. We just ignore her.

"We can go see them." I say, amused at his sudden excitement. I stick my hands in my pockets and we walk to the little pond the ducks are sitting in.

"Do we have anything to feed them?" He asks. I shake my head and he frowns.

"Oh well. Look! There's a bench right here." We move to the pond side bench and talk this time, not just sitting in the sun.

"Can you tell me about your parents? The Washingtons, that is?" He asks and I nod. I love them so much, even if they weren't my birth parents.

"Well... when I moved here, I was an anxious, depressed, 17 year old orphan. Marth- I mean, Mama, couldn't have children, so her and Dad wanted to adopt. Since they're older they decided they'd rather adopt an older kid, if they could. I had just got out of an abusive foster home, the Reynolds. They were terrible," I shudder, remembering James Reynolds. What an ass.

"I'm so sorry." Thomas says to my mention of abuse. I shake my head and tell him it's in the past, then continue.

"Anyways, they came into my orphanage and met me. I was actually in an episode and no one was their to help me. I wasn't.. the nicest. But they talked to my social worker. They read my papers and knew I was having an episode, since Mama is a therapist. They started fostering me and after a few months they adopted me. Mama is an amazing chef. Dad is so supportive of everything. They helped my through the hardest part of my life, being orphaned. I can't even begin to thank them." I finish.

"Wow. Quite the story there. I'm going to have to see just how good of a chef Martha is." Thomas winks at the end of his sentence and I smile. I check my phone and notice we've been at the park for an hour.

"Want to walk the trail a little?" Thomas asks me.

"Sure." He helps me up and we go to the paved path. It winds through the woods and is absolutely beautiful. But I'm not looking at the green trees or colorful flowers. The only view I need is of Thomas. I look at his perfectly sculpted face and chiseled goatee. His milk chocolate eyes are deep and caring, and overall he's the most fantastic thing I've ever looked at. He sees me staring at I glance away as he smiles.

"Trust me, love, I've been looking at you just as much as you have been me." I blush  and he pulls me closer to him, walking as he slings his arm around my shoulder. I could get used to this. I'm almost... happy?  It's been so long since I've felt this way I've forgotten what it felt like. He pulls me out of my thoughts by kissing me slowly on the lips. I kiss back, wishing I'd known he was mine earlier.

"Goddammit, Thomas Jefferson, I am so fucking in love with you."

"Well don't you just have a way with words love." He smirks and tilts my chin up, kissing me so light I can hardly feel it.

"Tease." We laugh and hold each other's hand, finishing the path. Thomas's phone starts ringing and the caller ID says Eliza. He answers and puts it on speaker.

"Hey, Liza." He says and I chorus it after him.

"Hey guys! Maria and I have our free period now. You still up for meeting us at SmashBurger?" She asks us.

"Of course!" I say and Eliza laughs. I can hear Maria chuckle in the background as well.

"Hey Mar!" I say a little louder.

"What's up Ham Man?" She asks.

"Bout to meet you pretty girls at lunch." Everybody laughs because we're all gay as hell and can't flirt to save our lives.

"Well, we'll see you handsome guys soon then," Maria says, copying my flirty tone. Laughing again, we say goodbye and hang up.

"Ready?" Thomas asks and I nod. Together we walk to SmashBurger. He open the door and I step in and see someone I thought I would never see again. I gasp in shock.

AUTHORS NOTE: Cliffhanger!! Are you excited for the next chapter? I am! I hope y'all are liking the story. It's about to get (even more) real. Prepare yourselves!! Sorry I updated so late, I had a flight and limited WiFi/cell service. Also sorry for the shitty filler chapter that satisfies (hahaha) nothing. But thanks for reading!!
Word Count: 2316 words