Contest Entry

A/N My Great Grandma passed away a few months ago, it was the first death I experience in my entire life. I went through hard times. This is the night of her visitation in my point of view.

I sat there up on the balcony. Ready to sing the next song in our school's musical. None of my friends realized what I had been through the past few days, expect Tommy, Leah, Shania, and Ethan S. (There were multiple Ethan's  I was friends with.)

Shania and Leah were up on the balcony with me in our school musicals, we were apart of balcony chorus so we sang and danced a bit but the rest of the time we sat and waited. Soon enough we were to the second half of the musical, I was staying strong, somehow. Soon enough, "And So It Goes" by Billy Joel began to play, it was a pretty dramatic situation during the musical and automatically tapped into my emotions of my Great Grandmother's death. 

I just broke down, and I couldn't stop until the end of the song since the version our choir teacher used was pretty long. The only way I could stop crying was telling myself that Tommy wouldn't want me to cry, and neither would Ethan, who was another one of my friends. 

Shania and Leah just hugged me and told me it would be okay. 

At the end of the show I walked into the lobby; after breaking down multiple other times during the show, (which I did the same reasoning each time, saying Tommy nor Ethan would want me to cry), Leah asked if I was okay.

My only response was "No." and Ethan, who had seen my face from across our school's lobby pushed his way through the other kids and just hugged me, letting me cry into his shoulder for at least an hour. 

My friends listen to me complain about my family issues for about an hour, and I made one of the most stone-hearted girls in the sophomore year of our high school cry. Knowing that I had friends by my side through the rest of those final months at school made me feel so much stronger.  

A/N Thank you for reading this story! I saw this contest and just felt like I needed to enter it! I hope the best stories get chosen!