Chapter 32

Grayson, Ethan, Madeline and I all returned to Pines that same day. August 17th; today was Nate's funeral and the day after his death.

There was no body, no casket, no burial. Nothing, just the memories we had of the beloved Father.

Grayson was dead in the eyes. His stare was blank, and his demeanor much darker. Ethan and Madeline hadn't stopped crying. I couldn't cry, I had to be strong for everyone.

I told Evelyn and Billy about Nate's death as soon as I could. The story was he had passed away from heart failure. Evelyn brought the family La Flora to enjoy. Billy was deeply saddened, but wouldn't return home for another week.

I told Margot and Scarlette too. They told the boys Elliot and Bruce.

I even stopped by Lisa and Sean's.

But they weren't there.

And the house was empty of any furniture.

Behind Grayson's house were the woods, and a mile into the woods was a marble structure now dedicated in memory of Nate. An empty tomb commemorating the life of the wonderful vampire.

"The man who gave me my second life is gone Em," Grayson said as he gently pattered on the piano keys. We were outside in the woods at his piano.

I leaned by head onto his shoulder and sighed. "I can't either. And I'm not going to lie to you and say things will get better. Well, they will get better eventually but right now, you just need to mourn."

"He died protecting us, the rogues. He died protecting those fighting against tyranny."

"Nate didn't die in vain, Grayson. Remember that." I kissed his shoulder.

"I will. After all, Nate brought me to you."

I turned to kiss Grayson but he pulled away and turned his head down. I wasn't going to ask what was wrong since it was obvious. But Grayson explained his rejection of my kiss, and it wasn't because Nate had just died.

"The Puppeteer told you about me, didn't he?" Gray questioned with a shaky voice. I nearly lied and told him that the Puppeteer had told me nothing, but I knew that wouldn't be fair to Grayson. I had told myself I'd never lie to him.

"Yes. He said you're the one who turned him." I turned to look the opposite direction. "Is that true."

"Yes."

"Why did you?"

"The Puppeteer's real name is Jerome. I found him beaten and tied up by his feet from a balcony. He was hurt and dying. I thought I was helping Jerome. I really did."

"You did the right thing, Gray."

"For awhile, Jerome was apart of our family." Grayson told. "He was a New Age like us and didn't drink people's blood.

"Anyways, Morigan had come back for me again. Jerome instantly felt a click with her which isn't really his fault. If a vampire finds his mate, it's hard to break them apart.

"Nate offered Morigan forgiveness if she decided to leave the Shifters and live like us. But of course, she refused. Jerome left us. The Shifters turned him into something more than just an Old Age. They turned him into a monster."

"Wow." I was at a loss for words.

There was a minute or two of just the sound of a gentle summer drizzle and Grayson's delicate fingers on the ebonies and ivories.

"Can I confess something to you?" Grayson asked.

I nodded. "Anything."

"I didn't kill him. The Puppeteer is still alive. I just couldn't do it, Em. I'm sorry."

QOTD: What is your favorite music
genre?

Sorry it was so short! The next chapter will be longer.

50+ Votes for the next chapter