Chapter 5: Runaways

A/N: Sorry this took a while! :) happy reading! XD

Secrets

Chapter Five: Runaways

What were you thinking right now?

Going away.

Where?

To some place they’d never see me again.

Why?

I felt…neglected.

After that unfortunate day, all four of us, namely, Matthew, Arianne, Dennis and me, were having silent wars each day, and not one split second was forgiven for us to reconcile. Arianne had stop helping me during the mornings, and Dennis ignored anything concerning me, especially when Mikey mentions me to him, telling him that he had fun playing with me that day. Gran-Gran, unfortunately, seemed clueless about what’s going on to stop this uncanny coldness growing inside the three of them. Matthew was the same as always. Always telling me to screw myself and hobble out of the door much to my current discomfort, and here was I, cursing myself for getting myself stuck in the middle of this karma—err, I meant drama.

“Solly! You’re dipping my bear into hot coffee!!!” Michael whined at me as tears evidently streamed down his face when he snatched the bear from my hands, snapping me out of my own bewildering daze.

“It’s alright, Mikey, Gran-Gran would clean him for you.” Gran-Gran told Michael as she cooed him to stop crying, assuring him that his bear would be fine after she fixes it up.

Gran-Gran gave Mikey a new toy to play with, keeping him distracted, before she gave me a look to meet her out back. I nodded my head in return and followed behind her.

Sighing to myself, I stopped walking for a while. I patted Mikey’s head and whispered, “I’m sorry, Mikey.” To him. Mikey grabbed hold of my hand with his, and caressed it gently with his small hands while he shook his head, and looked at me, mouthing the word “No” repeatedly.

“Don’t be sorry, Solly.” He reassured me before he raised his other toy and gave it to me as I looked at him with wonder. “Let’s play another game! Tea Party was already getting boring.” He exclaimed in delight, showing his cute dimples when he smiled and urged for me to fight his red robot with the blue one he handed over to me.

Smiling back to him, I smashed the blue robot onto his red one.

It took me another hour of playing before Michael finally tired himself out and dozed asleep on my lap. Carrying him to the sofa careful enough not to wake him, I gently placed his head on top of the pillow and put a blanket on top of him before I kissed his forehead to bid him a nice nap. Michael looked like an angel when he’s asleep, like a sheer piece of perfect glass. Watching him like this reminded me of Johnny, my little brother. Come to think of it, they were quite alike, only, Johnny’s hair was the same as mine, a dark coat of ruby brown.

A sudden thought passed through me when I looked up and saw Gran-Gran looking at me from the backyard. She must have been waiting there for an hour. Not wanting to keep her waiting any longer, I slowly got up on my two feet and hesitantly took a step forward to where she was, thinking about preparing myself for what she was going to say. She probably hated me too, like the rest of them.

“I see you’re healed, Solen. How’s Michael?” she asked me with a smile evidently seen on her face as she patted the seat next to her, motioning for me to sit down.

“He’s asleep, Gran-Gran.” I answered her question sitting down beside her before we both fell into a short silence as Gran-Gran sighed and looked at the grey clouds above. “So what are we going to talk about, Gran-Gran?” I asked her, breaking her peaceful admiring face when she examined the clouds a few minutes ago and turned her attention to me, surprised when she chuckled a bit to lift up the atmosphere around us.