Ch. 12: Not So Secret

Start from the beginning

“Oh my!” Mom gasped.

“What!?” Shit.

When did he get there? “I thought I told you to stay in the room and that we would leave in a little while!” I raised my voice at him and sat up straight in my chair.

Cam cowered away a little and stared wide eyed at me. “I…I just wanted a drink.”

“Here sweety, let me get you something.” Mom moved over the fridge and got Cam a glass of the green Hawaiian punch.

I covered my face with my hands. That’s just great. He wasn’t supposed to hear me. He wasn’t supposed to know unless Zach decided to stay and take over his fatherly duties.  “Mommy?” Cams voice was closer to me.

I sucked in a deep breath and then looked down at where he was standing right next to me. “Yeah Cam?”

“Are you mad at me?” He watched me, waiting for the answer.

I shook my head, “No sweety, I just wish you would have listened and stayed in the room.” I told him and pulled him into my lap. Mom sat the cup down in front of him and he took a sip of his drink.

Cam leaned back against my chest and I wrapped my arms around him and laid them in his lap. He grabbed my hands and started playing with them. “So, Zach is my daddy?”

So he did hear me. Looks like I have to tell him the truth now. “Yes he is; but don’t tell him that you know, okay?”

“Why not?” He asked.

There wasn’t really an answer to that. “Because, I said so and because he doesn’t know that you know.”

“Well why?”

“Because I told him you didn’t know.” I said.

“But why?”

Oh great. Not the “why” game. “You weren’t supposed to know yet.”

“Why?”

It took everything I had not to yell at him. “Can you please just do as I asked?”

“Okay.” He shrugged and took another drink out of his cup.

I was so prepared for him to ask why again that I opened my mouth to answer, but immediately shut it realizing he didn’t say why. I was glad for that. “Thank you. Hey, what’s so funny?” I asked mom, who was leaning against the wall chuckling quietly to herself.

“Oh, just watching you get a taste of your own medicine. You used to do that to me all the time.” She continued laughing.

I shook my head at her. “Okay, so you have your drink now, can I finish talking to nana?” I asked Cameron.

“Yep.” He said and stayed in his place.

“Without you?” I poked him in the belly. “I know if you got out here then you are capable of going back to the room by yourself as well.”

“Fine!” He climbed carefully off my lap and maneuvered his way back to the room.

“That’s just great. He wasn’t supposed to know until Zach figured out if he wanted to take the role of not. Now Cam is going to expect it from him.” I told mom.

She sat down across from me. “I’m sure things will work out how they are supposed to. At least you’ve told him now and there isn’t much you can do. As for Cameron; he’s a big boy, he’ll do fine with whatever happens. You’ve been a great mother to him and he’ll stay perfectly happy if it’s just the two of you.”

“Are you sure? Because he’s been pretty bummed about not having a dad and now that he knows there is a possibility that he can have one, I’m sure he’ll be begging me, wondering why Zach isn’t around.” I reasoned with mom.

“That’s true, but all you can do is keep up things the way they’ve been.” She gave me a gentle, warm smile.

“Thanks.”  I got up and hugged mom. “I needed that.”

“That’s what moms are for.” She teased, and winked at me.

“I better get Cam home before he gets himself into more trouble.” I hugged mom again. “Thanks again.”

“You know it’s no problem.” She replied.

I walked back to the room and grabbed Cam. “Alright, little man, let’s go.”

“Yay!” Cam cheered causing me to roll my eyes and laugh at him. My boy was crazy, but that was A-Okay with me. I wouldn’t change it for the world.

~~~~~~

A/N: Once again, sorry my updates are so delayed. I've been a little...busy and not in the mood to write I guess. Anyway, this is mainly just a filler chapter, so it's a bit short.