BOOK 13

When Jove had Hector and the Trojans brought Close to the ships, he left them there to toil And strife continuous; turning his keen glance To view far off th' equestrian tribes of Thrace, The warlike Mysians, and the men who feed On milk of mares, thence Hippemolgi term'd; A peaceful race, the justest of mankind. On Troy he turn'd not once his piercing glance; Nor deem'd he any God would dare to give To Trojans or to Greeks his active aid.

No careless watch the monarch Neptune kept: Wond'ring, he view'd the battle, where he sat Aloft on wooded Samos' topmost peak, Samos of Thrace; whence Ida's heights he saw, And Priam's city, and the ships of Greece.

Thither ascended from the sea, he sat; And thence the Greeks, by Trojans overborne, Pitying he saw, and deeply wroth with Jove. Then down the mountain's craggy side he pass'd With rapid step; and as he mov'd along, Beneath th' immortal feet of Ocean's Lord Quak'd the huge mountain and the shadowy wood. Three strides he took; the fourth, he reach'd his goal, AEgae; where on the margin of the bay His temple stood, all glitt'ring, all of gold, Imperishable; there arriv'd, he yok'd Beneath his car the brazen-footed steeds, Of swiftest flight, with manes of flowing gold. All clad in gold, the golden lash he grasp'd Of curious work, and mounting on his car, Skimm'd o'er the waves; from all the depths below Gamboll'd around the monsters of the deep, Acknowledging their King; the joyous sea Parted her waves; swift flew the bounding steeds, Nor was the brazen axle wet with spray, When to the ships of Greece their Lord they bore.

Down in the deep recesses of the sea A spacious cave there is, which lies midway 'Twixt Tenedos and Imbros' rocky isle: Th' Earth-shaking Neptune there his coursers stay'd, Loos'd from the chariot, and before them plac'd Ambrosial provender; and round their feet Shackles of gold, which none might break nor loose, That there they might await their Lord's return; Then to the Grecian army took his way.

Meantime, by Hector, son of Priam, led, Like fire, or whirlwind, press'd the Trojans on, With furious zeal, and shouts and clamour hoarse; In hopes to take the ships, and all the chiefs To slay beside them; but from Ocean's depths Uprose th' Earth-shaker, Circler of the Earth, To Calchas' likeness and deep voice conform'd, And rous'd the fainting Greeks; th' Ajaces first, Themselves with ardour fill'd, he thus address'd: "'Tis yours, Ajaces, fill'd with courage high, Discarding chilly fear, to save the Greeks: Elsewhere I dread not much the Trojan force, Though they in crowds have scal'd the lofty wall; The well-greav'd Greeks their onset may defy. Yet greatly fear I lest we suffer loss, Where that fierce, fiery madman, Hector, leads. Who boasts himself the son of Jove most high. But may some God your hearts inspire, yourselves Firmly to stand, and cheer your comrades on; So from your swiftly-sailing ships ye yet May drive the foe, how bold soe'er he be, Though by Olympian Jove himself upheld."

So spake th' Earth-shaker, Circler of the Earth, And with his sceptre touching both the chiefs, Fill'd them with strength and courage, and their limbs, Their feet and hands, with active vigour strung; Then like a swift-wing'd falcon sprang to flight, Which down the sheer face of some lofty rock Swoops on the plain to seize his feather'd prey: So swiftly Neptune left the chiefs; him first Departing, knew Oileus' active son, And thus the son of Telamon address'd: "Ajax, since some one of th' Olympian Gods, In likeness of a seer, hath hither come To urge us to the war (no Calchas he, Our augur Heav'n-inspir'd; for well I mark'd His movements, as he went; and of a God 'Tis easy to discern the outward signs), I feel fresh spirit kindled in my breast, And new-born vigour in my feet and hands."

Whom answer'd thus the son of Telamon: "My hands too grasp with firmer hold the spear, My spirit like thine is stirr'd; I feel my feet Instinct with fiery life; nor should I fear With Hector, son of Priam, in his might Alone to meet, and grapple to the death."

Such was their mutual converse, as they joy'd In the fierce transport by the God inspir'd. Neptune, meanwhile, the other Greeks arous'd, Who, to the ships withdrawn, their wasted strength Recruited; for their limbs were faint with toil, And grief was in their hearts, as they beheld The Trojan hosts that scal'd the lofty wall; They saw, and from their eyes the teardrops fell, Of safety desp'rate; but th' Earth-shaking God Amid their ranks appearing, soon restor'd Their firm array; to Teucer first he came, To Leitus, and valiant Peneleus, Thoas, Deipyrus, Meriones, And young Antilochus, brave warriors all, And to the chiefs his winged words address'd: