One

"I'm joining the army" The words flooded my mind like the first 'I love you.' I couldn't think of anything else, it blinded my eyes like a bright light. I was completely out of it. All I could do was stare in disbelief.

"Rich?" The words snapped me out of my helpless daze. I blinked and just stared at him again.

"I'm being deployed in a week. I did boot camp last summer when I was in Florida with family. I didn't know how to tell you so I just didn't until last minute." I don't know what to say. So many words go through my head at once and none of them sound right. I stand up and grab my jacket and make my way towards the door.

"Rich. Rich! Please don-" I had already closed the door and I started sprinting down the street. I don't know where I'm going but I'll find somewhere.

I suddenly couldn't breathe and remembered I was running at night for a few minutes. While I tried to catch my breath bright neon light started to fill my vision. I blinked a few times and realized it was an 'Open' sign for a bar I found myself next to. If Jake was to come looking for me he'd look here first, I don't know if I want that.

Before my mind decides I walk into it. Barely anyone filled the seats besides a few familiar faces that I couldn't put with names. I brought myself to a bar stool and put my head into my arms onto the bar. The sound of a glass bottle being put down made me poke my head up.

"Hey, something going on?" Jeremy, the bartender, looked down at me with worry in his expression.

"None of your business, tall ass." I put my head back down so he wouldn't watch me cry.

"There has to be something wrong, you're wearing Jake's jacket and I don't think you've even noticed." I glanced at my arm and he wasn't lying.

"If you don't want to talk to me it's fine but don't let this free beer go to waste." He walks away and I wait for him to be gone before lifting my head again. Jeremy was at the other end of the bar cleaning glasses so I picked up a bottle and took a swig. Words still swirl in my head. Nothing makes sense to me. Why did he not tell me before? Why did he not talk to me about joining? If that's what he wants to do I support him but next week? He could've told me sooner. I don't understand why he didn't talk to me.

"Hi Rich, I noticed somethings wrong. I know Jeremy isn't always the best person to talk to about your problems but you can talk to me." I turned my head to see Christine sitting next to me, staring with questioning eyes. Her eyes just stared right through me and tears started to pour from my eyes. She pulled me into a hug.

"I-it's Jake... He, he's being deployed next week." Christine pulled away and handed me a tissue.

"I didn't know he was in the army..." The tears came faster.

"I didn't know either."

///////AN wow look a new story have fun with this one