Chapter 8 - Playing Make Believe You're Married To Me

Start from the beginning

He shot her a quick, polite smile, "Hi Mary, nice to meet you." His voice sounded hoarse and tired.

She moved near his bed. "Can I get you anything, hon?"

Steve shook his head no. "No but I was wond..."

"I'm sure you want to know about your wife," she cut him off.

He felt a little flush come over his cheeks but tried not to give her a strange reaction. Natasha would logically seem like his wife in this situation, besides, who knows what information SHIELD had given the hospital. "Please," he said. It came out of his mouth in more of a begging tone and deeper voice than he'd meant. But he was going crazy not knowing what was going on.

"Let me go check and see what's going on, I will be back just as soon as I can," she said as she headed out the door. She turned back and asked "How long have you two been married?" Steve could tell she was trying to soothe his nerves and he appreciated her effort and warm smile.

"A little over two years," he answered. It felt odd lying about that but the truth wasn't going to be an option.

"We're going to take good care of her." Mary smiled and walked off to go on her mission.

Steve sat back in the uncomfortable hospital bed. He folded his hands and bowed his head and started to pray for Natasha.

It had been the longest day. He felt so far removed from everything that had happened earlier in the day... and from Natasha. He couldn't see her, he couldn't talk to her.

As worried as he was, the idea of Natasha being his wife flashed through his mind and he felt he couldn't breathe for a moment. It had been a long time since he'd thought about that at all. It didn't feel unnatural like he thought it would. Especially after spending the night laying in bed together.

Of course, Natasha was not the kind of girl he ever thought he'd marry... but him thinking about marriage was ages ago. Women were different. Men were too. Back in his previous life, he'd imagine moving away from Brooklyn like his mother had always dreamed about. He would want to live in a house and not an apartment and there would be at least four children and some land. But his wife... she'd be the love of his life. He would rush home to her at the end of the work day and pick her up and spin her around...

It was a great dream for it's time. But things aren't like that anymore, he thought.

And although it seems like he should have been upset that life wasn't like that anymore, he was unphased by that part. He was so thankful for the relationship he had with Natasha. They worked so well together and he enjoyed her company even more than that when they weren't on a mission. She made him laugh, she made him feel alive. He didn't feel like just Captain America like he was to the rest of the world, he felt like the best version of Steve Rogers.

It was good just to feel like Steve again.

He was sure he'd never see her standing in the kitchen in a dress. But thinking of her made his heart skip a beat.

She's so confident and so smart... it's sexy as hell, he thought. An image flashed in his mind of having dinner with her in a dimly lit room and seeing her smile at him.

He felt warm and calm for a moment.

"Buddy, you have got to stop doing this to me."

Steve snapped to when he heard the voice of his pal Sam.

"Sam," Steve said, he sounded relieved.

Sam sat down in the chair next to Steve's bed. "Woah, you're kind of banged up there, buddy. How's Natasha?"