Chapter 2 - How To Help A Friend

Vision sat at the bar in the kitchen of the Avengers Compound reading news on his laptop and casually eating a light breakfast. His phone started to ring and he knew it was Wanda without even looking.

"Hi, Vis," she smiled as she spoke.

"Good morning, Wanda." Vision replied in his ever polite tone.

"How's everything going there? I wish I could be with you."

"Well, Tony has left for Los Angeles this morning. It's rather quiet," Vision answered.

"I never like it when it's too quiet there. I liked it better when everyone was there and I had someone to work out with. Steve was especially good motivation." Her forehead tensed a bit. "I think he's not okay. I get the feeling he might be... struggling."

"I am trying to observe the culture of good manners," he paused, looking for the right thing to say. "From what you have told me, I have the feeling he may be in some sort of distress as well. But I have not figured out the best way to approach him. Calling him seems... odd. I feel rather strange trying to act normal with him now after siding with Tony."

"Vis, you have grown so much since I first met you." Wanda let a smile raise the lower half of her face. She steadied her voice and added "I think I might be right about him, something is off with him since the last mission." Neither Wanda nor Vision had to try to get a sense of someone's emotional state, those things just came to them. They had been learning to handle this with extreme caution as not everyone appreciated being "read". Wanda turned her attention temporarily to the computer screen next to her to look at a photo of Vision. "I think I will check in on him. He's been this way since the incident... He's definitely not the same."

"I believe Captain Rogers will appreciate a visit from you. He does value your friendship."

Wanda spoke to Vision a few more moments before ending the call to go find Steve.

***

Wanda walked slowly through the guest hallway of King T'Challa's palace, it was always dark and quiet, even for late afternoon. It made her feel like a noisy child running through the hallways. She cringed a little as she knocked on Steve's door, she was worried she might be overstepping with him.

It was obvious to her that he had grown to trust her and that meant a lot to her. So hopefully she had nothing to worry about. Wanda and Steve had developed a special relationship over the past year or so, especially since he'd risked everything once again to break her, Clint, Sam, and Scott out of the "floating pokey" as Tony called it. Even though Steve seemed like a man in his 20's and Wanda wasn't much younger, Steve had always been wise beyond his years and felt a sense of responsibility. That reflected in their relationship in somewhat of a father-daughter or big brother-little sister tone. Steve took this very seriously. Since her brother, Pietro, had died in Sokovia, he'd been stepping up his game to support Wanda more. Their regular workouts and meetups were paramount to the relationship.

The dark, heavy, wooden door opened slowly.

"I am so sorry, Wanda," Steve said, most apologetically. "I didn't mean to miss our morning workout."

"No, Steve, don't worry about that... it's not why I am here," she tried to be calming. Though it was obvious to her that this wasn't normal Steve, it was also obvious that he was trying hard to be normal Steve. "It's the middle of the day and I haven't seen you yet. You feeling okay, Steve?" She made sure to deliver this line in the least accusatory manner as possible.

Steve enjoyed her Sokovian accent as it reminded him of listening to his mother speak with her Irish brogue. It was more noticeable to him lately.

"I'm a little off my game. Just getting a late start today, I guess." It was clear by Steve's voice that he was not alright but Wanda was not about to press him.