thirteen

"Victoria?"

The girl awoke to her mother's smooth voice. She opened her eyes to see her mom opening her door slightly.

"Go away."

"Now, I'm definitely staying."

Laura opened the door wider, allowing herself in and walked over to Victoria's bed. She sat down, taking in the tear-stained pillow and the marks that still rested on her daughters cheeks.

"What happened?"

"Nothing."

"You and your father are so alike," Laura smiled softly. "Both as stubborn as mules."

"I don't care."

"Did you two have an arguement?"

The fight was still fresh in her mind, and it caused the tears to resurface.

***

"What the hell was that, Victoria? You ran after him! He's the enemy!"

"I wanted to see if Wanda was alright! They're not as bad as you think!"

"Not as bad? Victoria, she could have easily killed you!" Clint frowned. "They chose their side, so stop trying to play the middle-man!"

"They are hurt, dad! Have you never been hurt before?"

"You don't understand—"

"—Stop treating me like some kid! I'm an Avenger for heavens sake!"

"You're not an Avenger!"

The jet went silent as Clint's statement weighed in the room. Steve frowned, pulling Clint away from Victoria, who had a hurt expression masking her face.

"You are a child, Victoria, my child. You're seventeen, not twenty-five. You are half as experienced as any of us here, so I suggest you stop—"

"—Cut the bullshit, dad. I've heard the lecture before."

***

"Oh darling," Laura wrapped her arms around Victoria. "What happened?"

"He was upset with me because I ran after Pietro, but I needed to see if Wanda was alright! And they're not as bad as the Avengers think," Victoria breathed. "And when I told him that I could take care of myself, because I'm an Avenger, dad said I'm not an Avenger because I am too young. I guess it makes sense because I don't have the badge on my shoulder like the rest of them."

"Sweetheart, your father worries about you. You're his little girl, of course he will. And regarding what your father said, you are an Avenger because you fight for what is right. No fancy badge will ever label you as one of them. You know in here," Laura motioned to her heart. "You're an Avenger, and God, am I proud of you."

"Thanks mom."

"He'll come to his senses soon, but give him more time to cool off, he's scared to lose you."

Victoria nodded, playing with her hands. Her mother frowned, seeing how nervous she seemed to be. Laura realised, she must be hiding something.

"So, who's this Pietro that you ran after?"

Victoria blushed, her face almost as red as a tomato, "He's the enemy, so to speak. He's sided with Ultron, his sister too. But he's the sweetest person ever. Mom, he refuses to hurt me, even when I shoved a knife through his arm when we first met."

"Sounds like you're in love," Laura smirked.

"N—No. I'm not," Victoria then mumbled. "Not yet, I think."

The speedster was still on her mind, his smile haunting every one of her thoughts.

"Well, I suggest you get your ass downstairs, because we have a surprise visitor that I think will be thrilled to see you."

Frowning, Victoria slipped out of her room and into the stairwell where she could hear the familiar voice of her old mentor.

"Nicholas!"

She ran to the old man, her mentor chuckling as he hugged her.

"Hey there, duckling."

"I wore those leggings, once. Once, Nick."

"Still, never going to let it leave my memory."

"Why are you here?"

"What, you're not happy to see me?"

"No offence, but when you arrive at my house, you usually have some sort of reason."

"You know me so well, Miss Barton."