Chapter 21: September 7, 1971

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Why would a serviceman want to help the Russians and live in Russia?" I asked.

"He may have been blackmailed into helping - compromising pictures with a fraulein that wasn't his wife - or paid enough money to supplement his meager pay so that he conveniently 'forgot' that he was betraying his country."

I nodded, now understanding why my new boss had told me during my job interview that the reports I typed for the 66th would also be sent to the CIA office in Munich, euphemistically called The Library.

The waiter placed the steaks in front of us. And for 30 minutes we were occupied eating our steaks and enjoying a bottle of Riesling wine.

It was only when the dinner plates had been removed and the coffee on its way that Mitch took my hands across the table.

"I have to tell you something," he said. I waited for him to tell me how much he loved me, how glad he was that we got married before he entered the army.

"Someone in my unit got his orders for Vietnam today" was what he actually said, and then named the officer.

This news felt like a punch to my sternum. I jerked my hands out of Mitch's hands. This officer had been in Munich only a few weeks longer than Mitch.

"Why tell me now?" I said, my voice trembling as I fought back tears and pulled my hands away from his.

Mitch hesitated. "Because you're sure to hear it at the office tomorrow if his wife doesn't call you tonight."

"When does he leave?"

Again Mitch hesitated. "His CO - Commanding Officer - is trying to have the orders delayed. Something about he's the only Ph.D. in the unit and his analysis expertise is more needed here than there."

I stared at Mitch. He had no such claim to special expertise. If this officer didn't go, would Mitch be sent in the man's place?

I excused myself to go to the restroom. Once inside the door marked Damen I allowed the tears to drip down my face. Glancing at myself in the mirror, I flashed to when Mitch first told me, on one of our earliest dates at MSU, that he was going to Vietnam. I had been warned.

I reached into my purse and pulled out a wad of Kleenex. Wipedmy face. Applied more lipstick. Mechanical tasks that kept my fingers busy while my mind raced.

Would I have to go back to live with my parents while I waited for him to come home? To come home alive or in a body bag? If he survived long enough for R and R, to which of the choices should we go? Should he make a will before going to Vietnam?

Vietnam! I threw the crumpled tissues in the trash. I wished I'd never heard the word.

I returned to the table and faced Mitch. "What an ugly anniversary present you just gave me."

Now Mitch actually smiled. "You didn't wait to hear what else I have to say."

I didn't trust my voice to ask what?

"There are rumors that all the men who signed up for vol indef and will have served two years by June 30th of this coming year - that's me - are being asked to sign a form. This form apparently will require us to state whether we plan to stay in the army after our three-year commitment is completed."

I stared at Mitch, not sure what he meant. "I don't understand."

Again Mitch reached for my hands.

"The guys and I think this is a good sign. There may be too many officers for a 'peacetime' army."

"You mean?"

"Don't get excited. And don't say a word to your family. But there's a possibility."

The waiter placedour coffee cups in front of us and Mitch asked for the check.

When the waiter left our table, Mitch added, "We may be released early."

I felt as if my heart was beating to get out of my chest.

"Without going to Vietnam?"

Mitch nodded.

Now I let the tears drip in front of him, sliding down my cheeks to plop onto the white tablecloth.

"Pretty good anniversary present?" Mitch said.

I looked around at the other diners. Mostly German from the pieces of conversation that floated towards our table.

If they hadn't started WWII, Mitch and I would not have been here now occupying their country. Instead at this moment Mitch would probably be in Vietnam and certainly not dining on a white tablecloth.

I forced myself to smile and said, "It's a good anniversary present if the rumor is true."

__

If you enjoy reading about the imaginative future as well as the historical past, see my dystopian thriller THE MOTHER SIEGE here on Wattpad at http://budurl.com/MSonWattpad