Part Thirteen: Sisters and Dandelions

Frisk's POV:

"I'm going for a walk," I sat up from the couch, heading over to the door.

"Shouldn't someone go with you, Frisk? Just in case?" Ophe also stood up, walking towards me slowly, looking at the others gathered in the living room for backup.

"Sans is already out, Ophe. If I need help he'll be there. He can teleport, after all." I opened the door, smiling at her gently.

"But--"

"Let her go, Ophe. She'll be fine. She's proved herself."

I gave Itia a grateful smile before closing the door behind me. I brought my hands close to me as I wiped away at the tears that gathered in my eyes, not knowing how long it would be until I saw them all again. I didn't want to say goodbye either. I didn't want anyone getting suspicious.

I exhaled shakily as I continued down the path, Sans appearing at my side once it was more isolated along the path.

"Are you sure you want to do this, Frisk?" He asked, obviously not wanting to do this himself.

"I-I'm sure, Sans. Just do it, okay? I-I don't want to build it up in my head."

He nodded slowly and summoned one attack, sending it my way quickly. I could feel my HP drop and I fell to my knees, him catching me. I could hear the panic in his voice, but I relaxed, and a black dent in the snow appeared, opening up.

A small light was at the end of the darkness, and I knew what everyone meant by the light at the end of the tunnel. Sans walked through it, carrying me bridal style, and brought me to a clearing, where flowers dotted the grassy plane.

I saw someone very familiar, and smiled a small smile, tearing up at the sight of my sister.

"Frisk?" She spoke very gently, standing up from where she had been tending flowers, "What are you doing here? Did you. . .?"

"No," I came down from Sans' grasp, I couldn't feel any of the pain that I had as we traveled down the dark tunnel, "I just need to hide in death for a while."

"Who's this, Chara?" Another voice asked, another gentle voice, but a bit higher pitched.

I looked to my left to see a goat-person, a lot like Toriel and Asgore. I had heard they had a son but he had died, years ago.

"This is my sister, Frisk. Oh! Frisk, this is Asriel. He's been here for me while I was waiting for you." She smiled sweetly, something which I missed seeing from her.

"Oh, God, Chara, I missed you so much!" I ran over to her, falling into a hug with her.

"I missed you too, Frisk," She hugged me back, her grip tight.

"Are you two going to protect her?" Sans sounded, his tone low.

"Of course, Sans," Asriel replied, sounding a tad confused.

"You won't hurt her again, right, Chara?"

She frowned a little bit and we dispatched our hug, "I'm not going to hurt my sister, Sans. At least, never again. I've finally found peace, in the after life. And I plan to make up for all those years I hurt you, Frisk."

Sans frowned as she smiled at me again, still not trusting her. I understood that, but couldn't help feeling relieved at the sight of my sister, happy, smiling, at peace. I should not have trusted her in the slightest, I should never have when she had turned evil, but I couldn't bring myself to not trust her, not when she was this good and okay.

I walked over to Sans and took his skeletal hands into mine, "Remember what we said, Sans? Leave this life to me and the other to you?"

He nodded, not saying anything.

"You need to trust that these people can protect me. And if they do anything bad, well, they're technically in your realm. I wouldn't want to imagine the hell you could put them through if you felt like it."

He nodded again, still silent.

"You need to make sure that they're okay, too. They need to be able to smile again. They need to be able to be good Demigods. And just remind them that no one is really gone, just separated by a boundary we can not cross."

"What if I slip up?"

I laughed a little bit, "You won't, Sans. It's just another dressed up heartbreak. This is your job, making the lives of others a bit worse but hoping for the best."

"I could take offense to that--" He grinned a little bit.

"But you know it's the truth," I finished for him.

He smiled a little bit and looked at both Chara and Asriel before saying, "I'll make sure that he won't hurt anyone. I'll make sure you can come home, Frisk."

"And we'll protect her," Chara took a few steps towards us, though with caution.

"You'd better," He said, his tone unreadable.

He gave me a long hug and pulled away slowly, looking me in the eyes for a few seconds before kissing me, a few seconds only, but a few passionate seconds. He pulled away all too fast and headed back, not glancing over his shoulder. I understood why.

"Stay strong, Sans. Stay strong." I whispered as the portal between realms closed, leaving the air with silence.

"Come on, Frisk," Chara took my hand, leading me away from where Sans had disappeared, "There's a lot to explore here."

"And a lot to explain!" Asriel laughed, jumping up and down a little bit, his ears flopping around.

I laughed, despite the ache in my heart. Hopefully, time would pass quickly here. But not too quickly.

Not too quickly.