Lost Story

It was early in the morning. 発 の 花 [Hatsu no Hana- First Flower] cafe would open in a couple hours. The building was supposed to be empty but there was a steady clinking as the entry was unlocked. Steps echoed on the tile floor, all the way to the kitchen.

     No lights were turned on before drawers were opened. Here in the kitchen the only source of light came from a distant window. The pink morning sky brightened a little. The intruder grinned. No one was around to hear her slicing knives or giggling. Just as no one knew that the newest waitress of Hatsu no Hana was here so early-

because she was the only person in the building.

     Sukone Tei had her smokey white hair bound with red ribbons in long twin tails. They were tied just behind her ears, so that they rested on either side of her neck. The college student's soft cherry eyes stared back at her from the blades reflection. Her excitement had kept her from sleeping all night.   

     "She's dead..." reflecting on that recent fact still continued to make her smile. The handles of the knives slipped from her pale fingers as they started shaking. The clanging metal pulled Tei from her unraveling thoughts. She sank to the floor and clutched the crimson-colored bell skirt of her work uniform.

     Her eyes teared above a strained smile. She hiccupped as she held back a wail trying to escape her mouth. It was what she'd wanted, right? Maybe she was upset that- it was supposed to be her. Not a car. Not that girl. Everything.

     Sure, they  weren't the same age, but Tei knew Kagamine Len better than anyone. However, that other girl claimed she did too, but the brat probably only knew his body. It didn't matter that Tei didn't even go to their high school. That Momone girl had spread false rumors about "Len's sick older neighbor with cucumbers." The details were so sexually grotesque, they traveled like wildfire. Tei was actually "politely discharged" from her last job because of it. She could only work here because it was far enough from the rumors.

     Tei was partly convinced she had brought it on herself. Desire prevented her from traveling to a better/farther, junior college. And, if not at work or school, she was constantly around both Kagamines. The young woman didn't want to be far from her interest. Sure she'd have to wait a few years, but it was okay. She could wait. She would wait. She WILL wait. Surely Len will come to his senses with another wretch gone. Maybe half of what Momo had said was true- but Tei knew she wasn't crazy. The distraught woman sighed as she slowly stood.

     She retrieved, then washed and put away the "silverware" she'd been "playing with." Tei brewed herself some black coffee then began cleaning and organizing the cafe for the customers, to arrive later. As she turned the lights on to sweep she began humming a foreign song she'd recently discovered, "Fairy Tale." Len and his sister always went out of their way to stop by here after school. Thinking of it made her smile. She opened the door to sweep the cafe entrance, looked up at the pink sky and sang, "My love is a Fairy Tale~"

~

     The cafe owner, Miss Yowane, was surprised to find Tei already at the cafe and preparing it for customers. Normally she would be the one who first open the doors, Tei only had the keys for closing up shop. Haku Yowane greeted her employee just as Tei had stopped to take a sip of her coffee.

     "Why hello, Tei, aren't you here early today!"

     "Yep!"

     "So..." Her white ponytail swished as her head turned. Her eyes of matching pigment, or lack of, scanned the room. The small, white, wooden benches were all set neatly at each identically colored table. The marble tile was swept, the display cases and contents had been shined, extra artificial roses had even been added to the windows. The laced curtains were raised, letting in plenty of morning light, and cinnamon rolls could be smelled baking. Haku adjusted her white collar as she resumed where she had trailed. "Tei, why are you here so early?"