Mari... Hive Got to Study

The praying mantis (mantis religiosa) is one of the most well known insects in the Mantid Family. The praying mantis has enlarged forearms for gripping and destroying pray, as well as stereo vision, which allows them to see in 'high definition' and locate their prey more easily.
The praying mantis is also incredibly flexible and strong for it's size. It can rotate it's head about 180 degrees, and can withstand impacts up to dfktg dofekrt tkghifen dne....

I stare at the textbook before me, my vision starting to blur. I rub my eyes below my glasses and take a sip of tea to refocus.

With half of the lights off, Entemology Lab 3 looks like the set of a low budget horror flick. It's hard to believe that just a few hours earlier it was teeming with other late-night studiers.

Beside me, my lab partner Dylan is slumped over a copy of The Pictorial Encyclopedia of Insects, snoring. His head is propped up on his arm, and his toussled blonde hair is covering one eye. He's definitely not someone I'd have pegged as a bug nerd. Seeing him so relaxed, he almost looks cute. I quickly shake my head, clearing my mind of the thought.

I must really be tired. 

I reach out, poking his shoulder with the tip of my pen.

"Wha?" he mutters. He sits up and looks at me, dazed from lack of sleep. "Sorry, what chapter are we on?"

"I am halfway through seven, but I think you fell asleep around five."

Dylan reaches for the ceiling, stretching. "Honestly Mar, I think we should call it quits for tonight. We've got that test in the bag." He shoves his notes in his open textbook and closes it, shoving the mess into his backpack.

"But what about the practical?" I scoff. "Amy had Insect Anatomy last semester, and she said it's the hardest-"

"To hell with Amy. I need to sleep." He slings his backpack over one shoulder and looks down at his watch. "C'mon Mari, it's 2:15. We have about eight hours until the exam, and I'd like to spend at least six of those sleeping."

I cross my arms. "I just really think we should-"

"What, take another look at the practice slides? Everyone else left hours ago." He slings his backpack over one shoulder, already headed for the door.

"It can't hurt!" I call. "Besides, this test is about 50% of our grade, and I'm not used to depending on someone else for an A."

He sighs. He knows as well as I do that he'd be failing without my help. "If we look one more time, will you please agree to go home and get some rest?"

I nod reluctantly, not in the mood for an arguement. Dylan and I aren't exactly friends, but so far we've done pretty well as lab partners (aside from the fact that I do most of the work), and I would like to get through the semester without any issues. "Yeah, I guess."

"Great. Lead the way, Ladybug," he teases, pointing towards the door to Lab 2.

"After you, Dung Beetle," I retort.

Inside Lab 2, Professor Rhodes set up ten microscopes with various insect body parts for us to identify and match with the corresponding insect as practice for the exam. Technically we should probably be gone by now, but I don't think he'll mind if we take one more quick look.

I flip the light switch and begin plugging in the scopes. Dylan paces the room, looking at the various shelves of bug parephenalia Rhodes has around the room.

"Where do you think the old geezer gets all this stuff?" he asks as I examine specimen 1. Earwig thorax. I flip over the answer key next to the scope- correct.