Chapter 6: Ambulances and Promises

Start from the beginning

I write:
I told you I didn't take my anxiety medication, right? Well, the anxiety got to such an extreme it made me sick. I saw a paper too and I guess I'm also here for sleep deprivation and malnutrition.

"Oh my God, Alex. I'm so sorry. They told me I could take you home today, though." I smile at him. I'm happy to get out of the hospital.

"There's one more thing, though." I already know what he's going to say. The cuts. He takes a deep breath.

"When I was calling the ambulance, I was checking for a pulse on your arm. The one we don't use for writing." He says. Oh God. I feel really bad now. I shouldn't have let that voice get to me.

"There were cuts. Partially cleaned, unwrapped cuts. I saw one of the knives I didn't lock up covered in blood on the counter. Alex, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have left them there. It's my fault!" He cries.

I start tearing up and write quickly:
No! It isn't your fault! There's these.. voices. In my head. One told me to do it. So I did. I was so woozy from being sick I couldn't make a good judgment. I should be apologizing. Also, can we leave soon? Hospitals.. are not my favorite place, that's for sure.

When I had finished writing he looked up at me, and then told me he put every knife in the safe. I figured he would have.

"From now on, I'm making sure you take ALL your meds every single day. I don't like watching you be in pain. I love you too much for that." He says. I blush realizing he said that he loves me.

I love you too, Thomas. I write. He blushes hard, just now noticing he said he loves me.

"We can leave in 10 minutes if you're ready." He says, still with a blush. I nod. Soon we're out of the hospital and in his car. He kisses me before we start driving. I make an oath to myself: Never make Thomas cry again. It broke my heart seeing him cry. It would not happen again.

- THOMAS' POV -
I hesitantly get in the car, not wanting to leave Alexander. I do anyways, though. I think do writing to him with the pen in my glove compartment when I'm at a stoplight, but I don't have time. I eventually arrive at Panera and pay for the food. I hurry with it out the door, eager to get back to Alex. I drive a few miles over the speed limit to get to the dorm faster. I finally arrive and jam the key in the door.

"Alex? Love, I'm home! I have food!" I yell out. He isn't on the couch where he was when I left. Maybe he's in the bathroom? I walk towards the kitchen a little and hear an odd noise. Is he... puking? Crying? It was both. I rush in to his side and put my hand on his forehead. His face was pink and he was burning up. Do I need to call an ambulance? Is he alright? I ask what happened. He didn't take his anxiety medication and he was now sick. I stand there, not knowing what to do. I start talking but  he isn't listening. I see him stagger and fall as he loses consciousness. I catch him and his sleeve pulls up. Oh my God. There's cuts. I really need to call 911. I see the blood covered knife on the counter.

I grab my phone out of my pocket and dial 911.

"My SoulMate is sick. He just passed out. His name is Alexander Hamilton and we're in dorm 281 at Princeton College. Please hurry! He's burning up. He didn't take his anxiety medication for a few days and he sleeps and eats not a lot." I tell them in a rush. I added the last part so they had a little bit of information to go on.

Waiting for the ambulance, I carefully carry Alexander to the couch and clean the knife. I put every single knife in the safe. I can't be to careful. I was stupid not to think of it earlier.

The ambulance arrives 5 minutes later from Princeton Hospital. They load Alex into the ambulance and I ride with him, lights flashing on the way to the hospital. I call Lafayette, Hercules, John, Maria and the Schuyler Sisters. I tell them Alex is doing really bad and in the hospital. They each tell me they'll meet me there.

Alex is stable and asleep in his hospital bed. It's been about 12 hours since he was admitted. His friends had to go back to their dorms but they all visited him. After a while, a nurse calls me from the waiting room. I perk up when she tells me I can visit Alex.

"He's awake. You can take him home in an hour if he's ok with it. He's not sick anymore, but make sure he takes all his medicines every single day. Also, he needs more sleep and food. That's a little of the reason he got sick. Just keep an eye on him." She says before opening the door.

Alex looks at me when I walk in, and smiles. I know he can't talk well, so we converse through me speaking and him writing on his arm. After a while, I realize I want to talk about something.

"When I was calling the ambulance, I was checking for a pulse on your arm. The one we don't use for writing. There were cuts. Partially cleaned, unwrapped cuts. I saw one of the knives I didn't lock up covered in blood on the counter. Alex, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have left them there. It's my fault!" I tell him, tears streaming down my face.

He grabs the pen fast and writes that it was not my fault. The voices in his heads fault. He asks if we can leave. I tell him yes. We get ready and I tell him I'm making him take his meds every day. I love him too much. He smirks and writes,

"I love you too, Thomas."

We leave and I kiss him. I'm happy that he's ok. I make an oath to myself: Never let Alex get like this. It broke my heart to see him like this. It would not happen again.

AUTHORS NOTE: I hated making Alex and Thomas suffer but it was sort of fun (mwahahahaha) anyways, this chapter is a bit longer so that's to make up for the past two shorter chapters. Next one will be longer, I swear! Thanks for reading💕
Word Count: 1869 words