11

I felt the nerves in my stomach escape and find their way up my esophagus, the feelings of guilt slowly consuming me; I knew I needed to make this right, and that if I didn't, I'd risk losing both Mark and Tyler too.

"This champagne is really tasty too, I try to stay away from alcohol but now I can see why people drink it so much." Mark yammered, examining the bubbly liquid in his glass, all the while I shifted and fidgeted in my seat.

Calm the fuck down, I told myself over and over, doing my best to seem as though nothing was wrong and that weeks of lies weren't about to unravel in front of me in a few minutes.

I had to act quick.

"Mark, excuse me for a moment?" I swallowed, placing my handkerchief onto the table. He nodded and so I excused myself to the bathroom.

As soon as I entered the bright fluorescent lit bathroom, I busted through a stall door and closed it behind me quickly. I drew my phone from my pocket and frantically dialed Tyler's number. To my luck, the young man answered after the first ring.

"Uhh, hello?" he asked, sounding a little surprised. I didn't normally call him, usually only texted, so it was expected.

"Tyler! Yes, hi!" I nearly shouted back. I cleared my throat a little, quickly adjusting my voice to sound less threatening and scary. "Where are you right now?"

"I'm just on my way to see my brother. I forgot that I gave him my extra set of keys to the place, and I need them back. Why, what's up?" he asked me, blithely unaware of what was going down.

I covered the microphone and let out a small sigh of relief. I knew that the next forty minutes or so were going to be intense and that I needed to handle this delicately.

Tyler was about to blow the lid on my entire plan - a plan that I knew was twisted and wrong, and that I sort of just fell into - and I needed to make sure that that didn't happen. If he showed up now and saw Mark and I together, he would know that I've been pining over his brother for some time now, and that I lied. Which, ultimately, would mean that Mark would figure out that I lied too.

And Mark's opinion of me was really the only thing that mattered - the only reason why I was now sweating bullets in a small one person stall trying to defuse this time bomb instead of enjoying my date with him.

I needed to stop Tyler. I didn't care about anything else at that point.

"Listen to me Tyler, listen very carefully." I sounded tense, most likely startling Tyler even more. "You're about to show up to a restaurant where Mark is currently at with a date."

"Oh, he's on a date? How do you know?" Tyler questioned.

"Because I'm the date. It's me. I'm here with him." I almost choked on my words.

Tyler was never the sharpest tool in shed, so it took him a few seconds to figure out exactly what I was telling him. But, when he did, it was hell.

"You... WHAT?!" he shot the words at me through the phone. "What the fuck?"

I knew what to say thus far, but I was at a loss for words now that I was put on the spot. I decided to stick to the truth, that way I could avoid tripping over any details that might haunt me later.

"Yeah, I'm here with him. He's the boy I've been seeing. He's 'Henry.'" I continued.

I heard some fumbling on the other end of the phone, like Tyler was physically distraught with what I was saying. He cursed a couple times away from the mouth piece and then returned even louder than before.