Thirty-Three: On the Road Again

Magsimula sa umpisa

"How can you be so sure Harold will agree to this?" Leo asked, tapping the tips of his fingers on the kitchen table. They were back in the Big House, and Orion, Leo, Kellan, both Alpha females, Percy, Jed, Zach, Olly, and Nana had just listened to Skylar's whole idea, one she'd apparently come up with on the fly before confronting Draco. 

"Kidnapping and threatening the crown princess isn't something that goes over lightly, believe it or not," she said pointedly. "He trusts me, and my testimony should be enough for him. Draco's gone too far this time, and he's trying to erase an entire culture, and entire species, simply because he doesn't like them. My father is a good man. He is also a powerful king. His army would destroy Draco's, and Draco knows it. My father's army plus dragons, unstoppable."

"Draco has magic on his side," Orion pointed out, not to argue with Skylar, just to remind her that Draco wasn't someone to be underestimated. "Willing or not, he has at least one very powerful witch helping him. And, currently, two dragons."

"Yes, how are we supposed to get them back? If Draco realizes what you're doing, that you have no intention of turning yourself over to him, he won't hesitate to expose us," Penelope stated. Her eyes were filled with worry for her daughter she just got back. It was easy enough for everyone to see how strongly Kellan and Penelope wanted to protest this plan.

Skylar hesitated for a moment, glancing around the room, but then spoke quietly. "For my father's army to help us, we'd need to be exposed."

Suffice to say, that didn't go over well. Growls erupted around the room, from everyone except for Orion, Olly, and Nana. 

"You can't possibly think that's a good idea!" Jed gasped. "Exposing ourselves to the humans would be suicide."

"Well staying a secret isn't really helping much either, is it?" Skylar shot back. "My father won't lie to his men."

"Why would they want to fight for us? Humans hate us," Kellan reminded her. 

Skylar met his gaze evenly. "They'll fight for my father. They love him, and many of them don't like Draco." Her eyes flicked to Orion, met his for a moment, and then glanced quickly away. "And I have a friend among the knights, the head knight actually, who will help rally the men."

It wasn't lost on Orion that this friend was a man, and that didn't sit well with him. Not one bit. His dragon growled low at the thought of a strange male on Skylar's mind.

Leo wasn't phased. "He knows what you are as well?" 

"...No. But he is a very dear friend. I think I can win him over." Again, she glanced at Orion but wouldn't hold his gaze. That alone bothered him. "If he trusts me, they likely will too."

"You think you can win over an entire army of humans? You're very confident," Jed said, his green eyes narrowed in suspicion.

Skylar appeared slightly offended. "You forget that I was, and still am, their princess. Their beloved princess."

Orion reached over, under the cloak of the table, and grabbed Skylar's hand. He squeezed it for support and she squeezed gently back. He still wasn't entirely sure how he felt about her role in the human world. It would make it very complicated when she truly moved to be a part of the clan, because right now she was simply missing. Which could, in theory, go on forever, but she was proposing that she return to her old life, even for a while. He brushed his thumb over the back of her hand. He would follow her anywhere, including to the humans, and that realization was something entirely new to him, just like everything to do with Skylar.

He looked away from her and his eyes clashed with Kellan's. The Alpha watched them closely, obviously not oblivious to the new development in Orion's relationship with his newfound daughter. Orion wondered how this would pan out with Cassie. He, of course, had no intention of continuing that relationship. His dragon wouldn't let him. It was then that he realized Cassie wasn't at the table with them, unlike the rest of her family. Whatever she was, she was still a part of the Alpha family, and she should be present for this.