Fearless Leader

The mother grabbed her young child in her arms and held her tightly worried that I was going to take her away.

"It's ok! I'm a friend! Well.....you don't know me....but....I'm here to help. If that's....ok?"

The son came from behind his mom. He looked to be my age. Maybe even younger. He came up to me and stuck out his hand.

"I'm Charlie." He said.

I knew his hands were gross after going through the dumpster but I couldn't reject his greeting. So I sucked it up and shook his hand.

"Hi Charlie! Is this your sister?" I asked as I looked her way and smiled.

The little girl shyly hid behind her mom but peeked out occasionally to smile at me.

"She not my blood sister but......my mom and I found her as an infant in the woods. We took her in and took care of her. That is.....before....."

Charlie stopped talking and lowered his head.

"Hey. Don't be sad. Life just happens. Not everyone is dealt a perfect hand right? What.....what happened to you guys? Were you always homeless?" I asked.

"No. My mom and dad were married long before I was born. My father served in the military and took really good care of us. We had a really big house and two cool cars. My mom was a stay at home mom. My dad felt better with her being at home with me. Then something tragic happened. My dad was killed in battle. Some psycho terrorist decided to shoot a rocket into his convoy in Pakistan. His truck was knocked off the road from the explosion and everyone with him died on impact. My mom did her best to try to make ends meet my working at the local grocery store. But that wasn't enough to save the house. So she sold both cars hoping that would help but it wasn't enough either. The bank wound up taking our home and we lived out of garbage cans and shelters ever since. That's how we found Ellie. Looking for food at a nearby campsite. She was naked and crying and covered in dirt. I was the one who found her. I picked her up and took her to my mom and she wasn't going to leave her so took her with us. I had to steal a lot of cans of Similac and baby bottles for a while just so she could eat. I hate stealing. Still do in fact. It always makes me feel like a horrible person. But I have to take care of my little sister."

My heart sank to my feet. They've been through more than their fair share of pain and disparities. Looking at the little girl chow down on the pretzel bites it gave me an idea.

"Are you guys gonna be in the area long?" I asked.

"Please don't go to the cops. Everywhere else we go we get sent away. This is where we've been for the last few months. We found out that her favorite singer was playing here soon so we stayed here."

"Yeah? Who?"

"Prince. She's been a fan since Purple Rain."

Of course she would be a Prince fan having a hard time. This is the second time this has happened. I run into someone with a heartbreaking story who is a fan of my father. I feel like this is starting to become a pattern. Then again it also gave me an idea.

"Wait right here. I'll be right back." I said with a smile.

I ran back inside of the venue and made my way backstage to the dressing room.

"Dad! Stop what you're doing!" I shouted bursting through the door scaring the life out of him and Tony.

Andre heard me from across the hall and came out of his dressing room all in arms because he thought something was wrong.

"Girl whatcha shouting' for?!?!? You know back stage we don't do all of that!" He huffed.

"Dude go back to taking your old man nap I'm trying to get my dad to come with me!" I hissed running up to daddy and pulling his arm to get him to follow me.

"Carlyn what are you doing? I'm working before the show!" He scolded.

"I know but this can't wait! Please dad you have to come!" I begged.

"What's gotten into you sweetheart?"

"I need you to come see now! Please!"

"Ok! Ok! I'm coming!"

Daddy finally stopped resisting me and let me lead him out of the dressing room and out through the back door to the alley way where Charlie and his family were living. I pushed the door opened and pulled my dad up to the threshold and told him to wait there.

"Charlie? Tell your mom to cover her eyes and get excited because do I have a surprise for her!" I said trying to hold back my excitement.

He turned his mom to the door and covered her eyes.

"Ok she's ready." Charlie said.

I pulled my dad out the door and faced him towards them. Charlie gasped and was just as excited. Ellie squealed jumping up and down.

"Mommy! Mommy! Look! Look!" She said tucking on her moms sleeve.

Charlie uncovered her eyes and she looked over to see me standing next to her idol.

"Oh.....my......it's......it's....." the woman said as she tried to hide her tears of joy.

"Daddy? Charlie and his family are homeless. Can you help them?" I asked as I looked at him.

Daddy looked at the woman embracing her children happily.

"Oh....no! I couldn't impose that to you sir. We'll make due! Don't worry about us."

"Now that I see you like this my dear I have to. What's your name?" Daddy asked.

"My name is Rochelle. These are my children Charles and Elliana." She said trying to hide her tears.

"Well you certainly have a beautiful family. You guys don't need to live like this. Especially with this pretty little angel next to you." Daddy replied smiling and waving at Ellie.

She shyly smiled and waved back at him like she was crushing on my dad.

"Really. We don't want to be a burden." Rochelle insisted.

"It's no burden at all! All children belong in homes with family. Not out on the street. Carlyn? Give your phone. I need to make a call."

I took my phone from my pocket and handed it to him.

"You have Regan's number right?" He asked.

"Sure do! She's in my fave 5! She the circle with the diamond." I said.

Daddy scrolled to find Regan's number and gave her a call. She answered by the third ring.

"What can I do for you troll?" She joked.

"Hey Mouse I need a favor. You know any good realtors in St. Louis? I need you to have them find me a 3 bedroom home available immediately. I'll send the check first thing tomorrow morning but I need to move a family in tonight after the show. Also have Erin look for a nearby fur its store and set up a delivery to the address you find. Text me all the info when your done."

  "Well someone's being a busy bee! What's going on!" Regan asked.

  "Don't be so nosy. I'm helping out a friend. Just keep me posted. Trigger finger." He joked.

  "Wrong girl. Skippy!" Regan shot back at him with a giggle.

  "Bye Regan."

  "I'll call you in a hour!" She laughed before hanging up.

Me and daddy looked at each other and smiled. Then we looked at the tiny family.

  "Come join us backstage. We'll get you guys cleaned up and changed. Then when the house is ready I'll take you guys there myself.

Rochelle couldn't contain her happiness as she ran into my dad with her arms out wide and embraced him.

  "Thank you! Thank you so much! I know know how to repay you!" She said.

  "It's my pleasure! Anything for a longtime fan." He said to her.

We went back inside and got the family cleaned up and spiffy for the show. I think I was more excited for them to get into their new house then they were!