Memory Lane

This kid. he reminds me of a time in my life where that could have been me sitting here. He looks so.....sad. Like he missed having the life he used to have before....this. Now I know none of why he's in his situation is none of my business but....there's something about him that makes me feel kinda bad for him. He didn't look at me since I sat down and the awkward silence was starting to drive me crazy! I wasn't sure how to break the ice but with the clock ticking I knew I had to say something before this chance never came around again.

  "Soooooo.......what's you name?" I quietly asked him trying to get his attention.

  "Armand." He said in a sad deep tone.

  "Well Armand.....I'm Carly! Nice to meet you." I replied sticking my hand out to shake his.

He looked at my hand and then quickly turned away.

  "It's ok I don't bite. It's just a hand." I joke with him hoping to get a smile from him.

  "No thanks. I don't wanna get a rich girl like you dirty."

My heart dropped to my feet along with my arm as I gave him a look of offense. Knowing how snarky my attitude could be I took a step back and remembered that I was him at one point and should be more sensitive to his situation. That's when I got the idea to fill him in about how wrong his comment was.

  "Ya know.....I'm not as rich as you think I am." I stated scooting in closer to him.

  "Then why'd you show up in a limo then? You don't have to say that you're not rich just to make me feel better. I know how that story goes." Armand said sadly as he looked at me.

Letting out a sigh I shook my head and turned to him with my right leg up on the bench to make myself more comfortable.

  "I'm being serious. I really not as rich as you think I am. I was adopted almost a year ago! See the thing is......I was living in a foster home until my adoption. My mom...well the person who I thought was my mom......dropped me off on a playground and left me to fend for myself when I was in kindergarten. A state worker found me and took me to an orphanage in my hometown and I've been living there ever since. My brother and I were both adopted together. I know what its like to feel guarded all the time. It took me a long time to not feel like I'm living in a box. My dad had a lot to do with that."

  "But how does that not make you rich? If your dad has money then so do you....right?"

  "Not exactly. See my dad has money but most of it goes into his charities and stuff. I have an inheritance supposedly but I cant touch it until I'm 21. At least that's what he says. My dad makes me do chores and I get an allowance. I guess he wants me to have a normal life. Even though it doesn't look normal but to me it is. My dad makes me earn the things I want. Do you know what I had to do just to get a cell phone? I was the only kid in my class that didn't have one until this passed Christmas! The extra chores I had to do for my phone were torture!"

It made Armand smile a little and he was even able to giggle.

  "So then....I guess you're ok." He said as she put his hand out.

  "Ya darn right I am!" I replied happily shaking his hand.

  "So who's your dad anyway?"

  "Well....he's....Prince." I say lowly.

  "No way! Are you kidding me??? My mama used to love Prince....that is before....."

The smile he had on his face soon dissipated and he was back to his melancholy state.

  "Before what?" I asked him trying to keep the conversation going.

He just shook his head and turned away from me. I had to keep him talking some how to keep his mind off of his current state.