I'll Be Here Until You Fall Asleep

It was Friday at Linkin Park High School and there was a special event being held at the school to commemorate the death of Chester Bennington, former principal and founder of the greatest school in Ohio. While all the kids were gathering and talking about Mr. Uries next algebra test or Mrs. Ryan's difficult English II exam, Tyler was hidden away in the corner of the vast auditorium built for the biggest school in town, which meant there were more people to avoid.

The auditorium was extravagant. Like the fanciest New York theatres, it had velvet lined walls. Cushioned classic red Broadway seats for almost every student in the school. Burgundy carpets that feel like clouds even through the thickest soles of shoes. While above were professional stage lights being hung on an intricate layout of scaffolding. The light was so powerful that it can reveal even the most flattering of features. Students and teachers were still swarming through the sound proof double doors that were always locked. There was a clear line from the average school hallway and the fancy auditorium. This was a rare event. Normally the gym would have been used as the auditorium, but Chester deserved this.

While all of Tyler's closest friends were away mingling and not even noticing that he was missing from their group, Tyler was curled into himself and crying. Poor Tyler was struggling. He was confused about what he was. A boy? A girl? But that wasn't all. What if he was transgender? How would he come out to his very religious family? One anxious question followed by another, forming a never ending train of panic and fear that rushed through Tyler's feeble mind. His tiny body begins to tremble, going almost unnoticed until Josh walked by.

Josh was an English teacher and almost everyone's favorite teacher. He was new to the school only having been there for a year but he was already a hit with all of the students. His classes were always fun but never took away precious learning time. Students always left the class with a smile and knowledge about something new even if it had nothing to do with English. Despite the colorful Galaxy tattoo sleeve, bright neon yellow hair, stretched ear piercings, and his overall punk aesthetics, he was sweeter than most of the teachers there. He was never harsh on students, never gave too much homework, and never once raised his voice to anyone. Many say he's the ideal teacher. The one that everyone wished they had.

That fortunate day, Josh happened to be watching the very corner of the auditorium that Tyler was hiding in. He spotted Tyler shaking from far away and knew he was troubled, so he made his way there.

"Tyler, is it?" Josh asked. The school was too big to remember everyone's name but Josh remembered this specific boy because of the way he dressed. Nice floral vans, and a flowy, floral cardigan every now and then. And on his best days, some part of his clothes would be bright pastels, despite the apparels being meant to be worn by girls. It seemed to have fit Tyler's thin frame and pale skin.

But today, it was all black. Black hoodie, black jeans, black socks and black shoes. His attire was so dark that he blended seamlessly into the dark, dimly lit, burgundy walls.

Tyler responds with a lazy nod, head still in between his knees.

"Are you okay?"

Another lazy shake of the head.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

Tyler's head shakes again and he sinks deeper into the corner. Josh didn't even know that was possible. Tyler was really struggling but didn't want to invade. So Josh spun around and sat beside Tyler, legs crossed, and said nothing. The both of them remained silent for quite some time. It wasn't uncomfortable to either of them and just the simple presence has eased Tyler's uncontrollable trembling. His sobbing has reduced to simple sniffles and watery eyes. This was Josh's chance to try again, but instead of attacking head on, he asked what Tyler's favorite color was.