Chapter Six: Self Blame

Conveyances snarled the streets as guests made their way to the torch-lined drive of the Hudson Ball. Footmen, dressed in tailored livery, rode on back of the black lacquer coaches prepared to help their Lord and Lady alight the carriage. Servants stood at the entry taking wraps from the arriving peerage, which made their way to the small dais to be announced before greeting their hosts.

No sooner had the Baron of Staffordshire's family greeted the host, that Gabriella's entourage of admirers approached inviting her to join them. The first dance she accepted was with the Earl of Bentley, a rather good looking gentleman who had paid her court the night before. He had sandy blond hair, a straight nose, a strong jaw, and striking green eyes, but in them, she detected a conniving, manipulative soul.

Her papa once told her to be cordial but mind-numbingly tiresome towards such men. So despite her distaste of the gentleman, she permitted the dance but used the opportunity to search for Edward.

"You look lovely this evening, Miss Barrington."

His compliment jerked her attention away from her hunt. She forced a smile and returned the compliment, as per her mother's strict teachings. "You look quite dashing yourself in your green brocade jacket, Milord. It brings out the color of your eyes."

Amusement lit his face. "Last evening you said the same thing only complimenting the color of my silver vest, along with an admiring comment about my dancing abilities." He twirled her around once again enjoying the way she easily followed him. "Is it your habit to compliment all the gentlemen?"

"Only when they deserve it, Milord." When they didn't, she found something else to boost their ego.

He lowered his head regally in acknowledgment of her compliment. "That is most gracious of you. Tell me, do you ride?"

"Yes." She said nothing further. Most men detested such behavior, but instead, his eyes lit with interest.

"Excellent. The Earl of Stranton has invited me to his country estate in two weeks' time for a fox hunt. Have you ever ridden in one? Perhaps, I can see to an invitation."

"I find the hunt distasteful. Chasing after a beautiful fox for the sport of watching dogs tear it to pieces is vile." She regretted her outburst of passion at once. His steps slowed as he stared at her. "However, the obstacles of the chase are quite invigorating."

"Perhaps your father would..."

She shook her head. "Papa does not ride in fox hunts anymore, Milord. He enjoys conversations concerning debates within the House of Lords."

The Earl responded as if she teased him, yet most of the peerage knew of her father's vast interest as well as his brilliant investments. She considered that perhaps Lord Bentley sought the opportunity to sit and speak with him.

"Miss Barrington, I am sure you would enjoy the hunt. Stranton's stables are well known for his fine horses and there will be other ladies in attendance."

"I am sure the Earl is a fine host. I fear I have not heard of his stables since I am unacquainted with him." She sincerely wished he would drop the topic.

"That's understandable. By what I have heard, this is your first season. I was also told your father's townhouse is seldom used during the season. I would think his business would keep him here in London."

To have such a conversation with her, instead of her father, would be considered invasive thus improper. Because he had done so, she wondered why he was out to gain such information. "You should speak to my father concerning his business."