two

regrets

Detective Patrick kept his calm facade as the teenager in front of him waited for another question to be asked. He could tell by her posture that she'd mustered up enough courage to tell the story but there was more to it than he could have initially thought.

He nodded his head.

"So...Alicia is your friend?",he asked. Taking mental notes.
Akeezy nodded. "Bestfriend.",she corrected.

The detective nodded as he stared her directly in her eye. Not breaking the line of contact. He could tell it made her uncomfortable.

"So you downloaded this...app. We're here because of the account you made so I know you made one. Am I correct?",he asked.

She nodded once more. Staring intently down at her badly chewed nails.

Detective Patrick let out a displeased grunt while collecting his thoughts. On the other side of the two sided mirror -that were usually in all interrogation rooms- his former coworkers sat impatiently.

Two of them to be exact. Paul and Trevon. As they watched through the glass they couldn't help but think that Detective Patrick had indeed lost his touch.

"I just think he needs to scare the shit out of her so she can just confess to murder.",Trevon said as Paul watched and only gave a shrug in response.

"He said he doesn't think she killed her.",Paul stated as he took a sip of his coffee.

Trevor rolled his eyes as conversation back inside the interrogation room started up again.

The air inside had changed. Lighter now as conversation flow smoother. Less rigid than before.

"So Miss Jenkins, what happened after you both had the app? Was it a good or bad experience?"

Akeezy took a deep breath as memories rushed to her mind. A tear slipped down her face as she began to talk......

Akeezy

The bell rung for school to be over. I was so happy to head home. After the day I had I just wanted to go to sleep.

Rush hour had started. As I walked out into the hall kids were everywhere. Book bags, kissing, cursing, swearing, laughing, hugging, and running could all be seen and heard at this time of day.

Stuck in a crowd of rowdy teenagers wasn't what you wanted to be caught in. Especially the first semester of the school year, because everybody was rushing to get to their friends. By the second half everything calms down.

"Keezy!!!"

My name was yelled in the masses of people as I rushed to get outside. I looked back but no one was there.

I scowled. Was I hearing things?

I walked quicker through the hallway and out into the sunlight. The sun kissed my skin in the most pleasant way as I walked to my car.

"Keezy!"

The same male voice yelled again.
I turned and there he was.

Jamie. The quarterback of Riverside High.

Inwardly I was doing backflips. How'd he know my name? And even more than that how'd he know my nickname? And why was he calling me by it and who told him who I was and what I looked like and-
"Hey.",he said as he walked closer to me.

I leaned on the drivers side of my car door for support and gave a weak smile. I couldn't do much more.

He gave a full blown smile. One that revealed his perfect set of teeth and stretched his perfect lips.

"So...I heard you had something to show me.",he said as something in his smile changed. The intent of which he smiled wasn't the same as what I thought it was.

My smile dropped as well. Turning into confusion.
"I don't know...what you're talking about.",I said as I stood on my own two feet.

He raised his brows as he chuckled;stuffing his hands into his back pockets.

"What are you talking about?"

He avoided eye contact.
"Well....I heard you were going to give me nudes and-",I cut him off. "On that stupid fucking app!?",I yelled.

It was word vomit stemming from a place of anger and maybe the people around me noticed how heated I was getting. I was sure my face was turning red.

His did too. Of embarrassment.
"Look I just thought-",I cut him off again.
"-that I was a hoe and that you could pull one over on me because you're you. Who the hell said that anyway?"

He rolled his eyes. He opened his mouth to speak but hesitated. "Well talk."

He chuckled. "It's anonymous."
I rolled my eyes. Of course it is.

Unlocking my car to open the door and drive off was the only thing on my mind. Assholes were already talking shit about me.

Knew that damn app was dangerous.

As I started to sit in my car my arm was grabbed. I snatched it away.
How dare he touch me?

"Don't touch me freak.",I said.

I could see the frustration all over his face.
"Listen I just had to see if you'd do it. It was supposed to be a joke."

I rolled my eyes for what felt like the millionth time. "I didn't see anything funny about it. Dumb apps make dumb people.", I said as I grabbed my car door to close it.

But what he said seemed to freeze me in place.
"Then maybe you should check your own page."

His voice came off as annoyed. I could tell that as soon as he said it he regretted it. He opened his mouth to form an apology but I stopped him.

"Don't."

Closing my car door I soon after drove off. Leaving him to stare at me and people to stare at us.

All they could wonder was why we were even talking. All I could wonder was what the hell was on my page.

Making that profile was a bad idea.