Thoughts of You

Tonight is the big night. It's the night that Toni will be returning to the big stage and performing for the first time in years.

When Toni married Keri Lewis, member of the famous group Mint Condition, Keri decided that it was best for her to take a break from her music career and just focus on their marriage and expanding their family. Toni, who was well into her career, had happily agreed. She was so ready to be a mother and to kick back and enjoy the fruits of her labor. Being a mother was everything to her, but even with all the joy that motherhood brought, she missed singing and being in the spotlight doing what she loved, so tonight was her special night. Now that her sons were older, she felt like it was time to make a comeback. She was still young and was still that girl. She was ready to prove to everyone and to herself that she still had it. And this event was the perfect opportunity.

Tonight's show would be like the old BET awards shows. Back in the '99 and early 2000s when EVERYONE would come out to support each other and have an absolute blast together.

Everyone who is anyone will be at tonight's event. Legends as big as Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, Prince, Mariah Carey, Aretha Franklin, Patti LaBelle, TLC, Gladys Knights, Luther Vandross, Tina Turner, and etc. The list of the greatest artists to ever do it just goes on. With a lineup so amazing, Toni couldn't help but feel a bit nervous. She had been out of the game for quite some time, but luckily her vocal coach had helped her tremendously, and she of course had the support of her loving family and millions of fans.

Yet, out of all the hundreds of people that will be in attendance tonight, there is only one person she's nervous about seeing. It was her old lover, manager, business partner, and who she used to consider her dearest friend, Kenny Edmonds. Kenny had always been someone Toni could rely on in and outside of the entertainment world, but when she announced that she was getting married and putting her career on hold for a while, Kenny and Toni's relationship took a turn for the absolute worst. He was absolutely against her decision and had told her as such in a not-so polite way. He couldn't believe she was marrying someone, especially since he thought he was the one she loved.

The thing that you might find funny though is that Kenny was a married man himself at the time, but he wanted to have his cake and eat it too.

Yet Toni did love him. So loved him so fucking much, but after years of only sneaking around with him, she started to want more for herself and had had enough. She got so tired of being his "little sister" in public, so she did what any woman in her right mind would do, she got herself a man that she could call her own.

However, that was many years ago and the old feelings/anger she had for Kenny were long gone. She's had time to heal, to move on, and to even forgive him for all the cruel things he said to her in anger. It was water under the bridge, truly.

Hopefully now that years has passed and they both have families of their own, they're be able to move forward and reconcile their friendship. Toni really does miss him and their friendship. He was the best, and she only hopes that he misses her too.

X

"Babe, did you go and pick up your tux from the tailor yet? The boys tuxedos were dropped earlier by mom." Toni questioned as she stored away her makeup. She glanced over her shoulder at her husband, anticipating his response. When she got no answer, she immediately knew something was up.

"Keri... You are coming with me and the boys tonight, right? ...Right?"

"Shit." Keri grimaced. "That- that is tonight, isn't it? Damn T, I'm sorry."