4. new york best sellers

Start from the beginning

"what?" malia asked when she saw lydia look at it strangely.

"i don't know. there's something about it. has anyone actually read it yet?" lydia asked.

"just me. and i didn't understand any of it." malia replied.

"we should probably all read it." skylar said.

"kira's working on that." malia told her as they walked to her locker.

"stiles says he can't find anything on the author. he thinks it's a pen name." malia said.

"speaking of which, where is stiles?" lydia asked.

"he's sick." malia replied.

skylar knew that stiles wasn't sick, he was just trying to cope after what happened with donovan.

skylar flipped over the book and read the back out loud.

"in a small new england town, teenagers are taken in the night and buried alive. days later they emerge transformed, wreaking havoc and spreading terror, commanded by an ancient order of parascientists known only as the dread doctors." skylar read.

"sounds vaguely familiar. how does it end?" lydia asked.

"it doesn't. this is supposed to be volume one." malia replied.

"oh, let me guess... there is no volume two?" lydia said.

"or we're living volume two." skylar said.

"then maybe the real question is... is this a novel or someone's prediction?" lydia said.

-

"whys your heart beating so fast?" malia asked lydia in class.

"look at this. look at the acknowledgements page." lydia said showing it to malia and skylar.

"for providing scientific perspective and invaluable insight this book is dedicated to dr. gabriel valack." skylar read out loud.

-

skylar went over to stiles' house to explain what they found out at school. skylar was going to go to eichen house to go talk to valack herself.

"skylar, i'm going with you." stiles told her.

"you don't have to come, stiles. malia isn't going either." skylar told him.

"malias not going because she knows that that place is a nightmare asylum of insanity and death, okay? let's go." stiles said as he winced in pain while putting on his sweater.

"you okay?" she asked him.

"i'm okay, let's go." stiles said but before he could walk out the door, skylar stood in front of him.

"skye, you are not going without me. you remember what happened to deaton when he talked to valack?" stiles said.

"scott and kira are going to be there. i'll be fine." skylar told him.