Chapter Two: Pessimistic Débutante

Start from the beginning

Her lips drew into a small smile, but her eyes did not. "What if I embarrass you?"

He absorbed her rare beauty and the worry behind her eyes. "Do you doubt yourself or what your mother has taught you?" He reached out and tugged her long dark braid in a teasing manner.

Her shoulders rose and fell in exaggerated slowness. "I have learned that the royal elite of the Haute Ton finds enjoyment in gossip and slander while making sport of debutantes. What if they begin spiteful rumors concerning me?"

His eyes shot to Lynette's face, once again with displeasure, before tipping up his daughter's chin to look at him. "I have written to Aunt Cecilia. She will make sure all the arrangements are made to have you presented in the proper circles. Now, run along. I have things to discuss with your mother."

Gabby hurried from the room and raced back upstairs. She had known the day would come when her father would act upon her mother's will. For some reason, her mother believed this would be the best experience of her life.

She had hoped to postpone the marriage block for another year. With her sizable dowry, there would be time to choose a husband. Her father was in no hurry, but he often considered the advice her mother stressed as important. In this instance, she suspected he was compromising to maintain peace since he had business in London.

She stopped in her room to change into her boots and then went to collect her brothers. She found them continuing the role-play of pirates, but not with swords. Derrick held his finger out like a pistol and was telling Philip to walk the plank.

"I'm going out for some fresh air. Shall we ride with or without saddles?"

"Without! I'm going to be a gypsy." Philip further declared his enthusiasm by mimicking riding a horse around her. "I want the scarf wrapped around my head like before." He paused his play to remove the black scarf from his waist. "Make it cover my hair," he said as he handed it to her.

She wrapped it around his head at an angle, low over one eyebrow and tied a knot above his ear so the sash would hang by his shoulder. "We can all be gypsies in a circus. How's that?"

Philip didn't wait for anyone. As soon as Gabriella finished securing the scarf, he shot from the room with Derrick close behind.

The announcement of a season had her thoughts whirling. Marrying anyone would mean losing this time with her brothers, which she would sorely miss. She raced after them taking the back stairs through the kitchen heading for the stables. The cook was frowning as she hurried to catch up.

Just outside the stables, Derrick complained, "I want to use a grain sack. The last time, I kept slipping from the horse trying to pick up that small sandbag from the ground."

"Derrick, it could be too heavy to lift." At his frown of hearing anything could be too heavy, she changed her tactics. "Perhaps you need to hook your foot tighter." Her shoulders slumped knowing he wasn't listening. He had raced into the stable.

Philip came out of a stall with his horse saying, "I'm going to stand up on Apollo's back. I bet I can do it longer this time."

"We go to the hay fields first, or I'll box your ears," Gabby warned as she opened the door to the tack room. She stepped inside and took down the training harnesses for the horses. They were designed with a handhold and loops to help with their stunts. She passed them out to the boys and supervised them while they belted them around the chest of the horses.

Before she could finish harnessing the strap on her horse, they were walking their horses out. She had a good mind to give them a lesson on manners, but with her days numbered before leaving, she ignored their rude behavior.

A few minutes later they were riding towards the field prepared for the tumbles such a sport guaranteed while learning.

Gabby could not imagine a husband who would allow her to continue the sports she loved. Her friends thought most men sought a biddable bride who spent time with needlepoint or reading a novel of some sort. Since the opinion was wide-spread, Gabby assumed it to be true.

Her father, however, did not fit such a mold. His success in the business world proved his intelligence. The way he had raised her proved he admired her capabilities.

Women who relied on gossip or the fashion world for their entertainment bored her. She found men who hung upon a woman's chatter about such things would also bore her. Before she married such a man, she would find work as a governess—not that her father would allow such to happen. With his two sons, she would always have a home.

Besides, her ability to keep Father's books would be invaluable to them, which brought up her secondary worry. Most men did not like women who were smarter than them. They disliked anything that made them feel inferior. If they knew she was also a skilled sword master, most would be leery. Add to that talent was her ability with weapons.

She sighed at the truth. She was born a girl, but raised as a son. What man would want her if they knew this? The idea of hiding her abilities for a man made her laugh.

As Father said, such a man would be unworthy of her. Therefore, she had no need to worry. She would go to the balls and then return home. If no man would have her, she had nothing to worry about.