Chapter Three: From Boredom to Intrigue

London, England

Edward Tristan Dayton Howard, Marquess of Greystone, tolerated the three debutantes his aunt invited to tea without his knowledge. Nevertheless, if he had known of the trap, she knew he would have made his excuses. He sat with a cup of chamomile tea, his least favorite, and listened as each Lady competed to entertain him with the latest gossip. Before long, their voices droned on like buzzing bees in his ears. A bad case of ennui encroached upon him before he choked the tea down. Enough was enough.

He stood upon hearing one of them say that she gave the cut direct to the Earl of Bentley at someone's ball. The story was not surprising since he knew the man was looking for a bride to cover his gaming debts.

"If you ladies will excuse me, I have another engagement for which I am running a trifle late. It's been a pleasure." He politely stretched his lips to resemble a smile, but the pleasure never reached his eyes. The moment he pinned Aunt Herriot with his stare, his eyebrow cocked. "This meeting has been one I will remember, dearest." He bowed to kiss her offered cheek and then quickly escaped from the blonde triplets all dressed in pink frills.

The groom quickly brought his horse around to the front and without any hesitation he vaulted into the saddle and raced away. The warmth of the sun offered a pleasant ride back to his home. Too many years on the seas had made the outdoors a necessity for his sanity. The time he spent indoors was limited for paperwork or bed-sport, which he had neglected of late.

His last mistress had been a widow as well as a lovely partner for such enjoyment, but she began dropping hints of becoming a Marchioness. The solution was to stay unencumbered until he could obtain a bride.

The idea of having a willing wife as a bedmate pleased him. So did the hope of having children. However, when he considered the household with nannies and husbands who questioned the paternity of such children, he would make sure any woman he chose would not fit this mold. To date, he had little optimism.

It was nearing five o'clock and many of the elite would be parading in the park. He avoided it and galloped towards home. His business partner was expected to sail in today, and he looked forward to hearing about the trip to Cuba.

He arrived at his townhouse and rode to the back entrance where the stable and carriage-house was located. One of the men, who had retired from sailing for him, strolled out of the stables to take his horse.

"Cap'n. Looks as if ye rode him hard," he said as he took the reins. " 'Twas a good day to feel the wind in yer face."

"Yes, indeed." He gave his horse a pat on his neck. "Rub Athos down and offer him an apple."

"Aye, aye, Cap'n. We are hopin' to hear news from Cap'n Dreyson."

"You will all hear as soon as I know," Edward agreed as he hurried inside for a bath.

* * *

Hours later, the visit Edward had anticipated brought troubling news. He stood in his study listening to Todd Dreyson's outrage. One of their merchant ships had been attacked by two pirate ships. They had grouped together in an effort to overpower Themis, a ship of fifteen hundred tons, which had been rigged with forty cannons. Prepared for such aggression, the captain returned cannon fire sinking both pirate ships.

Edward was perplexed that pirates expected to accomplish such heroics against such weaponry. There was the possibility they mistook Themis for another. The ship had been carrying shipments of sugar from Jamaica and cigars from Cuba. Luckily, the captain had fought such sea scum before. The damage had been slight; a cannon ball had struck the hull. It had been patched but would be repaired in the United States.