"Luke, are you ok?" She whispered

I just stare at our hands frozen. My mom would do this for me when she was teaching me. I can't help stop the sob that escapes my throat. I throw my arms arms Thiea and start crying.

I feel her tense for a little bit and then relaxes and wraps her arms around me and runs one of her hands through my hair.

****(flashback Luke 7 years old)***

Oh man! I messed up again! I can never be as good as my mommy! I just huff out annoyed and cross my arms until I feel soft hands untangle my small arms and move my hand to the right direction.

"Luke darling why are you mad? It was just the last key you missed." Said a soft voice.

I feel tears collecting in my eyes. "Because, because I can never be as good as you." I pout.

I hear her chuckle softly and she sits next to me on the piano and lifts me up so I'm sitting on her lap. "Luke honey, you are absolutely wonderful at the piano, especially for a boy your age." She winks and she boops my nose.

"But...but I wanna be as good like you!" I whine. "I wanna be a great pianist like you mommy!"

"And you will!" She laughs lightly. "Mon chaton (my kitty) look at me." She says as she lifts my chin to look at her bright green eyes. "One day you'll grow up to be the greatest pianist there ever lived." She smiles warmly.

"You think so?"

"Oh I know so, now let's go bake some cookies and continue on your French, deal?" She negotiates.

"Deal!" I chirp and nod my head.

****(Luke 10 years old)****
"I can't lose you!" Shouted my father.

I clench my eyes tightly and lean closer on the door way and listen to my parents fighting again.

"And I want this baby! Robert darling, this child will be a great thing for us." Sighs my mother tiredly.

"But...your cancer! You're on stage 2 now! Do you know how high the risks are?!" He angrily shouts and paces the living room.

"I know the consequences, but I'm not about to give up this baby that was made out of pure love, just like our baby boy Luke."

My dad stops pacing and looks at my mother with a stern look, but you can see it crumbling away. My mother has always been his weakness.

"Why can't I ever say no to you?" He sighs as he slowly walks over to her and hugs her to him tightly.

"I love you so so so much Iris, I can't imagine a life without you in it." He whispers.

"And I love you so much soul mate, but if the day comes and I'm not here-"

She was cut off by my father. "Don't say that!"

She ignores him and continues on. "When I'm not here, I need you to take care of Luke and this baby. Please promise me!" She pleads desperately.

My dad opens and closes his mouth before he finally sighs and looks into her eyes. "I promise, my love." I see him hug her again and a tear rolling down his cheek.

I quickly get up from the stair I was sitting on and quickly run up the stairs and rush to my wiping my tears. I hate this! My mom and dad try to act like nothing is happening! Like I don't know that she has cancer!