twenty four - a conversion.

Dear journal,
I told Alex that I wasn't going to date anyone, and as much as I'm trying to stay true to that, Scott is making it really hard. He's been so sweet and caring and honest with me. Homecoming was the most unforgettable night I've ever had. I'm just happy Alex didn't see me there with him.
-M

--

Malory and Kirstie were closer than ever, walking together in the hall while holding hands. Meanwhile, I was wandering behind them, third-wheeling to the max. I was slightly annoyed, but could I blame her? She had a girlfriend now. All of her time couldn't be sent to me, she had to split it. I just felt like too much of that time was going to Malory.

They found each other in the hallway in between classes, Malory sat with us at lunch, and they even drove to school together. They had been inseparable ever since they had made it official.

I was washing my hands during lunch in the men's bathroom when I felt two hands hold on to both sides of my waist. Scott appeared in the mirror behind me. I smiled and lightly pushed his hands off of me, turning around. He then decided to place his hands on either side of me, leaning against the sink.

"Pleasure to see ya here," he says with a wink. I chuckle and smack his shoulder lightly.

"You're creepy," I joke. Scott smiles and pulls away from the sink, now just standing in front of me.

"I see you've found a new lunch table," he says. I shrug. "Everyone seems to be splittin' up. You stole Kevin from us," he chuckles. He wasn't wrong. Kirstie, Malory and I switched tables ever since that day where everything kind of went to hell. Esther and Kevin eventually found their way over, joining us. Jake and Alex sat with some new people that I didn't know, two other guys and one girl. "Avi 'n I are lonely," he says.

"Scott..." I say softly. "You know you and Avi moving to us would be like hell, right?" I question. "Alex would have a fit, and Avi and Esther can barely cope with each other." He shakes his head.

"You'd be shocked," he explains. "Avi talked things out with Esther, took her to lunch and they both said they wanted each other in their lives again. They laid out some ground rules, and they're doing okay-ish," he tells me. I raised an eyebrow.

"I mean, that's great," I say. "But still, Alex would be mad."

"Who cares?" Scott asks. "Let Alex be angry, there isn't really a reason to be."

"I know you don't like Alex, which is fine, but he is still my friend, mind you, the first friend I ever made here," I tell him.

"Okay, and who was your second?" He asks, pointing to himself. "You know what they say, first is the worst, second is the best," he winks.

"You are a child," I say with a chuckle. Scott laughs as well, following me out of the bathroom. We walked back into the cafeteria. Avi was now at our table, sitting next to Kevin and laughing while talking to Esther. Scott looked to me.

"Okay, you gotta let me sit with ya now," he begs. "Or else I'll really be alone," I shake my head before pulling him to our table by the neck of his shirt. He smiles behind me. I sit in my normal seat, which happened to be where Avi took the seat next to, on the other side of Kevin. "Kaplan, up," Scott demands.