*10*

Maybe sometimes you feel trapped when you are free. At least that's what Suman felt looking at Shravan. Everyone deemed now that Shravan had managed to move, he would push himself more than ever. But to everyone's surprise, he looked tired and clueless. 

Shravan was clearly hyperventilating. He was looking down at his legs like they were foreign bodies, the tremble in his right hand was alarming. 

His family was surrounding him. Pushkar talked hurriedly with the doctor, maybe speaking everything at once whereas his parents were ready to cry their eyes out. 

Suman slowly turned to walk out of the scene. Shravan needed his family. This was the time for them to be happy, to cry, to hug, to celebrate together — and Suman wasn't a part of their family. 

She patted her tears away, wishing she had a camera with her. Seeing Shravan standing on his feet was something that would be etched in her memory forever. But again, she knew memories never last. The ferment would stay for some time for sure, but with time, it would fade — and it was heartbreaking.

“Where do you think you are going?” Suman’s steps faltered. Ramnath was standing just behind her. She stuttered. “I think Shravan might want to talk to you, Suman.” He looked over his shoulder and Suman followed his gaze. Shravan was looking straight at her. A deep frown marred his perfect face. 

Suman exhaled, she was already tired of her inner turmoil, and she didn't need further showdown. “I don't think that's a good idea. Anyway, I am happy for all of you.”

Ramnath pressed his lips, clearly not liking her answer. “If you walk out of here now, Suman, the crack has formed in your and Shravan’s relationship, might not be bridged together — ever.” He sighed, “I know what he said was out of line. I can’t — won't condone any behaviour which abused a woman, even if it's emotionally. But he is my son, I might have a talk about it with him later, but I can't see him heartbroken — at least not for the second time.”

Suman suppressed a gasp. Talking to Ramnath felt like she was standing in front of Shravan, but at another time. Suman shook her head, “I understand, Sir, and trust me, I am happy for him.” 

How Suman would give anything to take Shravan in her arms, and say repeatedly how happy she was to see him standing on his feet. She sighed, “But the words he used against me just a couple of minutes ago, I can't simply let that side. Indeed he has suffered a lot, but that doesn't give him the right to insult me — belittle me in front of his family.” Ramnath flinched, “I am not simply going to pretend like everything's fine.”

Suman didn't bother to look at Shravan as she walked away from there knowing he had heard her.

***

The day passed quite slowly. Maybe because half the time Suman watched her phone expecting it to ring. Her grandfather didn't bother to ask her even when he noticed her restlessness. He never did — just that one time when she came home drunk from Alisha’s marriage. Suman sometimes thought, maybe Raghuvendra was not what he let out. That old man was very perceptive when it came to reading people. As if he knew every single thought that swept through her. Yet he decided not to say anything. 

It was oddly comforting, as well as alarming. She needed to talk to someone who would understand the turmoil she was going through. 

Then she knew one thing — she liked Shravan to a certain extent that she wouldn't hesitate to throw away everything if he simply just asked her to. And that terrified her. It's not like she didn't want love, or was scared to love someone. But she wanted an easy love just like her parents had.