Chapter 1 (Part 2): The new Beginning

The Alzano Empire. It was an empire situated in the northwestern area of the North-Selford continent. Its lands - which experience wet winters and dry summers due to its oceanic climate - are ruled by a monarchy.

At the southern part of the empire, in the region of Yorkshire, there is a town named Fejiti.

The most prominent feature of Fejiti was the Alzano Imperial Magic Academy. If one were to ask which magic academy was the greatest amongst the numerous that existed in the North-Selford continent, the answer would undoubtedly be 'Alzano Imperial Magic Academy'.

The town of Fejiti had been built concurrently with the establishment of the academic city, and both had experienced the development and prosperity of the other. The neatly arranged buildings - with their vintage pointed roofs - gave the town a thick atmosphere of sophistication and elegance. On the other hand, the presence of a Magic Academy had created a high demand for magical catalysts and items, which accommodated successful foreign trade, and ultimately allowed the town to prosper. Furthermore, due to high flow of people through the town, it was always at the forefront of domestic trends. The town was undoubtedly a fascinating union of ancient and modern elements.

On this mildly foggy morning in Fejiti, there was a young girl standing still on the stone pavement at the corner of the street, directly under a street lamp.

Her medium-length blonde hair looked as soft as cotton, and her sapphire-blue eyes left a strong impression on those that looked into them. Based on her appearance, one would say that she was a girl whose age was around fifteen or sixteen. The texture of her skin was like fine silk. Her refined and gentle demeanor, combined with her neat and structured facial features, made her seem as lovely as an angel in a holy painting. She was a girl who - at first glance - seemed fragile, but at the same time, she seemed to carry a powerful conviction. That was the kind of girl she was-

Contrary to the girl's captivating features that would make others turn their heads to take another look, her attire was rather strange. On top of her cool-looking vest and pleated skirt, she wore a feathered caped-hood... Though it was currently summertime in Fejiti, it was still undoubtedly cold in the morning. Yet, for some reason she was dressed lightly, and wore a glove on her left hand.

"~♪"

Anyhow, she appeared to be waiting for someone. As she idly stood on the pavement, she gripped the strap of her leather bag, and passed the time by humming. One could tell that she was in a pleasant mood.

It was then-

"...Ow-!"

Hearing a pained cry from behind, the girl turned around.

She saw an old man holding his finger, and a flint stone falling to the ground. Beside the man's feet was a metallic bucket filled with twigs and leaves.

"W-, What happened uncle?."

Though she didn't know who this old man was, she approached him without hesitation.

"Huh? Ah, hahaha... I've let this little lady see such an uncool side to me."

Feeling like he had bothered this kind-hearted girl, the old man could only chuckle to himself and show a wry smile.

"Actually, when I was trying to dispose of the garbage I had collected by setting it on fire , my hands trembled, and I ended up scratching my finger instead... My, I'm not young anymore."

From a short distance away, one could see that the old man's finger was swollen and bleeding. The man put up a strong front, but the wound must have hurt considerably.

"My my, when I get back I'll have to ask my wife to fetch some medical herbs won't I..."

The young girl inspected the depth of the wound, and looked towards her surroundings. When she confirmed that no one was around, she revealed a mischievous smile, and placed her finger on her lips.