Chapter 1 (Part 1): The Reason

On a certain morning of a certain incident--

"How should I say this? You could say that I firmly believe that 'I'll lose to myself if I choose to work'."

The man, Jeys, proudly made this statement. His expression could be likened to that of a saint that had journeyed the world and found enlightenment. Contrary to his expression however, he was leaning forward on the desk in front of him, and lazily resting his chin on the palm of his hand, though he made sure to maintain eye-contact with the young lady sitting across from him.

"Though, the reason I'm still alive is all thanks to you. I'm lucky to have you as a friend."

The lady sitting across Jeys gracefully crossed her legs, and casually sipped on her tea.

"Hmm, is that so? Then you can go ahead and die, pig."

The lips of the lady who spouted these insults, curved into a refined smile.

"Ahaha~! Isn't that a bit harsh, Serika? ... Ah, can I get a refill?"

Despite her harsh remarks, Jeys continued to laugh indifferently as he placed his empty bowl directly in front of the lady named Serika.

"You're as carefree as usual, aren't you?"

Serika's expression seemed distant for a brief moment, but was quickly recomposed to her usual smile.

"Normally speaking, a freeloader should be a bit more shameful..." "

"Ah, speaking of which, breakfast this morning was a bit salty for my tastes. I prefer lighter-tasting foods you know?"

"And you are even picky about what's given to you. I don't even know what to do with you anymore."

Serika retained her passive smile for another moment--

"<Whatever · Just · Explode>"

And inadvertently used her reply as the chant for a three-stage spell incantation.

The room was enveloped by a deafening roar, and the surroundings were covered by a crimson-red explosion. The phenomenon that resulted from Serika's spell blew Jeys away and promptly destroyed most of the luxurious cafeteria, which had just been arranged with expensive silverware moments ago.

"H-, Holy shit! Are you trying to kill me!?"

Glen, whose body had been charred black by the explosion, coughed continuously as he complained.

"Kill you? It seems that you're a bit mistaken. After all, the act of cleaning up rubbish should be seen as a service to the community. Now, do you understand what I'm saying, Jeys?"

"Don't use that motherly tone to say such cruel things! At least treat me like an actual human being would you!?"

To Jeys's continued rebuttals, Serika could only drop her shoulders and sigh.

In contrast to Jeys, who was considered a degenerate of society, Serika could only be described as a cool and composed beauty.

Based on her appearance, one would say that she was around twenty years old. Her glamorous wheat-colored hair look as if the sunset constantly shone upon it, and her eyes a deep crimson red that was becoming of blood. If one were to look closely, just her pretty appearance would make one shiver, and her graceful stride looked as if she was faintly levitating. Combined with her strangely flirtatious personality, she seemed to be a mystical existence. Her slim hands and feet, and her tender limbs made it seem as if her body was finely sculpted. Simply put, her body was perfect even from a skeptical female's perspective. She wore a black formal gown, which - while exuding an elegant aura - revealed enough of her chest and had a waistband for fair measure, as to further emphasize her curvature.