TWO

Kelly and I were the last to arrive, as usual. The poorly lit apartment's door was opened by Josh, who greeted us and took our freshly baked brownies to the kitchen. Josh and Simon had made spaghetti and Brandon had brought the salad. It was peculiarly tame and domestic for our particular group, though no one was complaining about the anomaly.

We talked about school and Josh bored us all with football updates. Brandon discussed music theory with Kelly. I cordially listened to one of Brandon's philosophical explanations while Kelly scolded Josh for eating too many of the brownies. All the while, the subject never ventured toward Simon, who sat silently.

The event felt strange in general. I had wished we would have skipped dinner, or been able to learn of Simon's news before we had eaten. But there was a sensation that I felt from everyone, that perhaps they all knew something that I didn't. Not even I addressed Simon or his mystery. I simply waited, often mirroring Simon's countenance.

After dinner, we all sat in the living room/bedroom of the apartment. I sat on the edge of Simon's bed, pressing my hands into the scratchy fabric of the quilt. How could he sleep on that? I sighed, emptily staring at Kelly as she ranted about the other girls on her team.

Quiet side-conversations were getting more and more dull. The attention was getting thick and restless. We all felt more than ready to learn the reason for our gathering. Mutually we looked to Simon. He sat in their small recliner that was stained and worn from its previous home.

"Alright, I'm not sure how you'll all react about this, but I figured... this was what I was supposed to do. I needed to tell you all," His voice shook. I felt nervous for him.

"You're gay, aren't you?" Josh said with an accompanied chuckle. Simon gave a small laugh, but I could see that he was truly distressed. To be sure, this was a rare state for him. Kelly shushed Josh and slapped his shoulder, giving Simon a look to proceed. His mouth curved into a fearful frown as his eyes shifted between all of us. I felt ill-prepared for what he was about to say.

"I met a ghost,"

He released the unbearably deep breath he had been holding. I glanced around at the other faces in the room, trying to see if the others looked as I felt. He met a ghost? Is that what he said? My eyes narrowed, as if that would help me understand more clearly.

"I'm sorry?" I asked instinctively. He glanced at me almost apologetically.

"What does that mean?" Josh spat immediately.

"Just what it sounds like... I saw a ghost, and it spoke to me." he replied. Everyone grew silent again.

"Simon, can you tell us specifically what happened? Maybe then we can understand," Kelly asked.

Looks of question and curiosity seemed to shoot around the room in an instant after Kelly spoke. Simon sat still, his eyes buried deep within the carpet at his feet. I had never seen such a look on his face: a face that I felt I knew well. He gave a tired nod and cleared his throat.

"Sorry..." he glanced at all of the faces around him bashfully.

"It was last night,

I was sitting just there on the couch watching tv.
It was late and Josh was out, so I was alone. I felt alone in that moment as well.
As I was sitting, the tv switched channels on its own.
I know how that sounds... I know how all of it sounds.

The screen was just... white... no static or anything. I tried to switch it back but all the channels were the same. I thought it was broken so I tried to shut it off, but not even that worked.
I figured the remote wasn't working either so I just stood to unplug it when I felt something...

It was like putting an ice pack against your forehead... The floor began to change... I started falling...

falling through it slowly.

I was sinking, and I was so afraid, but I couldn't call out! I was numbed. I kept falling through. I went through all of the apartments, drifting down slowly like I was sinking in water. I saw every floor below us and then down to the basement.

When I got to the lower level next to all of the hot water heaters, I stopped. My feet planted and suddenly it was like time caught up with me. The world wasn't slow anymore.

My heart was pounding.

It was so dark I could barely see. I yelled and asked if anyone was there while I scrambled to find the door that lead to the stairwell. I shouted but it was like my head was in a box that restricted my voice from reaching very far at all.

That's when she came."