2. Introductions

I ran fingers over my wrist, the cursive letters cool against the pad of my index finger. I looked over to my friends wrists, each of them laughing and subconsciously rubbing their wrists too. It was a superstitious ritual they had for tests. Everyone in our school did it. And some people could feel when someone else was rubbing theirs as well. Which was a relief to some and a curse for others.

The words were tattooed on them when they were born. Just appearing about half an hour into their life. Many people believed it was the last words your soulmate would ever say to you. You would always get nervous when those words were muttered since you most likely just missed your chance with your soulmate. That's if it was something generic like "bye" or "can you pass the salt?"

Mine scared me the most. "I love you." I couldn't have many relationships because of mine. But it's not like I believed that myth much anyway. It was like horoscopes. You believed it because it involved you and so it must be true. I didn't have many thoughts on the situation, but it was soothing to feel the cool letters slightly pop out of my skin. It just... calmed me down.

"Lyra?" A husky voice whispered into my ear, leaving tingles where his breath and nose brushed my skin. "You okay?" I could feel his eyes on my hands. He knew when I was nervous, he always did. Jax wrapped his arms around my waist, his body pressing against my back. I had no idea why but he always sat behind me. So others don't stare at my girl's beautiful ass. It was always his response but I had a feeling that he had other motives.

I just nodded in response, forcing my finger off my wrist and looking down at the words. I felt a tingle run down the muscles there and I shivered lightly. Jax froze from behind me and reached around for my wrist. I watched him as he traced the letters, burying his nose into the crook of my neck. He had done this so many times that he knew the trace off by heart. Sometimes he would mutter something but regret it as soon as he did and never tell me.

My eyes went across the table to Opal. She just stared at him with such sadness I was surprised that she wasn't crying yet. She had a crush on him since she was about twelve. He had never noticed her before. The only reason they were friends were because of me. I tried to set them up a while ago but it didn't turn out great. I thought that she was over him, but he wanted to spend more time together. After about four years of friendship he wanted to move things further. And we did. After that I haven't had the courage to talk to her about it. It's been about three months after I found out.

I bit my lip and stood up, prying Jax's hands away from my waist and making my way to throw away my rubbish. I grab Summer's tray too. The red head gave me a huge smile, her glassy, brown eyes shining a thanks. She didn't talk to many people. And often burst into tears when someone said something nice to her. She didn't get much attention at home and would often sneak away at night to spend the night with me. Mostly studying all night or sleeping on my floor. I had bought her some clothes that she could keep at my place and some makeup to hide the dark circles under her eyes and the dark purple splotches she would "randomly" get over her body. I was her best and only true friend. And I was perfectly fine with that. She didn't have anything on her wrist. But she wasn't afraid of that. Some people were just born with either no soulmate, or mute ones. Or animals. Just how it worked out. 

"Thanks Ly." She whispered as I rubbed the top of her head affectionately. I made my way over to the counter and placed the two trays there, shouting a thanks to the lunch ladies. They gave me a short wave and looked behind me. Something in their eyes told me exactly who it was. I spun around and was met with two large figures. They were the two pranksters of the school. Alec and Declan Price.

Before I knew it they were lifting a bucket full of something that looked green, and sticky. I jumped back and bumped into the food counter, eyes wide and terrified. A hand sneaked up and grabbed the handle of the bucket, picking it up out of the hands of the two taller teenagers and away from them. The momentum of the sudden change of motion made a small amount of green goop spilled over the edge. The brothers looked down as both of their shoes were covered in said goop.