Chapter 4: Business as Usual

Start from the beginning

Alex walks inside the building, closely followed by Team One. As they walk through the door a Police Officer approaches them. "Number of suspects?" Alex quickly asks as the Officer walks beside her. "One In the media centre, demanding to see the Grayson Kearns, CEO" the officer explains as they walk down the hall crowded with people trying to leave. "The Media Centre, what's that?" Alex questions curiously. "It's down the escalator, off the trading floor. It's where the reporters do all their stand-and-talks. Lots of big screens, tickers. It's like they're right there" the Officer advises quickly.

"Subject in the media centre, is he armed?" Eddie asks as he walks closely behind Alex. "No. No, visible weapons. My guys are holding him there. Cops just showed. I've got CCTV tapes" he says. "Eddie, i'll take the guy in the media centre. Spike, you're my second. Set up a command post at that security desk. Sarge?" Alex demands. "I'll be there with Spike" Greg answers. Alex nods and looks back at the officer as Spike and Greg run towards the desk.

"Where were the gunmen last seen?" she asks. "Grayson Kearns' head office" the officer answers. "Lou, Sam, Wordy, with me. We need one of those elevators unlocked. Keep the rest of them shut down tight" Eddie states as they all run off down a different hall and Alex follows the officer down the escalators.

"He what?" Alex questions concerned. "The guy's spilling gasoline everywhere!" the Officer panics as he hangs up his phone and they both run down towards the Media Centre and the officer opens the door, letting Alex run in quickly. She runs around the glass wall and past all the cops standing around, to see a man pouring gasoline around him on the floor.

"Hey buddy, what's going on? What're you doing?" She asks loudly, causing the older man to turn around and look at her confused. "Don't touch the camera. Camera stays on" the man snaps as he points at her furiously. "I'm not going to touch anything" she says softly as the man pours the remaining amount of gasoline on himself. "What're you doing that for? Come on, just put that down" Alex shouts. "Stay back! Stay back!" the man snaps quickly. "Okay, okay. But why don't we just go outside, We can talk about this?" Alex questions.

The man looks at her and quickly holds up his hand. Alex looks closely and notices a lighter in his hand and she quickly and quietly gasps shocked. "I warned you...stay back" he demands quietly. Alex nods and continues to watch him carefully. "Nobody comes any closer" the man continues as he looks around frantically at all the officers in the room. "Okay, okay. Alright, let's all just move back. Let's give this man some space...Give him some space!" Alex agrees as she turns around and takes a few steps away from the man.

"Eleven oh-nine am, Sergeant Alex Parker initiates negotiation. Subject is level red, threatening self-Immolation" Spike's voice says through the headset as he starts the transcripts. Alex turns around and looks back at the man and notices that he lowered his arm, but is still holding the lighter. "My name's Alex Parker, I'm with the Police Strategic Response Unit. I'm here to listen to whatever you have to say, sir...I'm here to help you" Alex explains slowly. "Your young to be a Police Officer" the man states. Alex nods and smiles. "I get that quite a  bit" Alex smiles. "I don't want to hurt you, but I'm not going anywhere" he states loudly. "Nope, no one's gonna force you to do anything" Alex explains.

She takes a deep breath as the smell starts to give her a slight headache. "Spike, let's get the fire department on standby, But no entry. Repeat, no entry until my command. And let's get ambulances in the area on standby as well" Alex demands quietly through the headset. "Copy" Spike answers as Alex walks towards the officer that she came in with.

"Let's evacuate the area, And then I need you in the Security Room with my guy, alright?" she says. "Yeah" the officer quickly answers as he turns around and escorts all the other Police Officers out of the room. Alex then notices a reporter standing behind the glass. "Miss, did you talk to him?" Alex questions and the woman quickly nods. "I want you to stay right there, okay?" Alex demands as she rubs her nose as it starts to burn from the smell.