Chapter 4: Business as Usual

Start from the beginning

"It's an expression, come on" Donna snickers. "Oh yeah, It's a pretty revealing expression" Greg states bluntly as he leans back. Donna looks over at the table worried and leans back. "You're mirroring me" Greg advises quickly. "What?" Donna questions confused. "Your body language. You're showing me, me now. Do you know you're doing that? Or is that just reflex by now, from all your time among the enemy?" Greg asks.

Alex looks at the file again and then back up at Donna. Alex gets up out of her chair and walks in front of Donna and sits up on the table next to her. "Constable Sabine, You got the bonding moves down, Belonging, Being what someone wants to see, And that's all very, very useful. But it concerns me a little when your psych eval shows inconsistencies on self-reporting. It's like you can't keep your story straight about who you are. This job, connecting to people, I need to know you've got something to draw from" Alex explains as she looks down at Donna with sympathy.

Donna goes to answer but the loud alarm stops her. Alex and Greg stand up, and Alex holds up her hand to stop Donna. "Hold up" she whispers. "Team One, suit up. Hot call, hot call. Gunmen at large in the Commerce Tower" Sally's voice states quickly. Alex looks back at Donna. "Someone to draw from....Pick this up later" Alex advises as she walk towards the door of the briefing room. "Awesome" she hears Donna sigh. "Awesome...yeah" Alex whispers sarcastically.

"Sally, how many gunmen?" Eddie asks as him, Alex, and Greg walk towards her desk. "We have multiple witnesses reporting a single gunman or pair of gunmen, At different areas on the eleventh floor. Could be one suspect, could be a team" Sally explains quickly. "What are they carrying?" Eddie then questions as they start to head towards the hallway leading to the garage. "Handgun, rifle, shotgun? Take your pick" Sally states.

Alex follows Greg and Eddie towards the weapons room but stands back, letting them pack what is needed. "She rappels like a spider" Spike says excitedly. "Thinks on her feet" Lou agrees. Wordy looks back towards Alex with a smile. "Is it time for a vote yet or what?" he questions, causing the rest of the Team to look over at Alex. "I'm thinking I need to think some more" Alex states seriously. "She's a no-Brainer" Eddie advises. "She's got the chops, no question about it" Alex admits. "But?" Eddie questions. "Sarge, needs to think" Spike smiles. "Copy that. Sarge needs to think" Wordy snickers as they start to walk past her and towards the SUVs. "Let's go" Alex laughs as she pushes Spike gently.

Alex heads towards her SUV and pushes the button to unlock it. "Alex" Lori's voice quickly shouts, causing the Team to turn around and look at her. "Lori" Alex states bluntly. Lori holds out her hand and looks into Alex's eyes. "Car keys" she demands. "What! You're not serious, right? Now you're not going to let me drive?" Alex snaps. "Alex. I don't believe you're in any state to drive" Lori explains as Team One gathers around them. Alex snickers under her breath and slams her door shut, locking it, and handing the keys over to Lori, knowing she wouldn't win this argument. "Thank you" Lori whispers and Alex shakes her head, frustrated and walks with Lou and Spike and climbs in the back of their car. 

Team one quickly heads out and races through the busy streets as Alex sits in the back of the SUV and looks out the window. "What was that about?" Spike asks curiously. "Oh nothing. Doctor Lori just thinks I'm a ticking time bomb. She believes that I will explode at any second" Alex explains furiously. She then takes a deep breath and looks over at Spike. "You guys do believe me when I say that it wasn't me on that ledge right? I mean, it was a part of me, yes...But it wasn't me. I would never hurt anybody on this team. I would never attempt to-" Alex begins to say and Spike quickly looks back at her and takes her hand in his. "We believe you" he smiles. "Of course we do" Lou agrees.

When they arrive at the tall building downtown. Alex jumps out of the car and looks around and notices large crowds of people and Police Officers running around. "I'll take negotiations while you guys do your thing" she smiles. "Copy that" Eddie agrees. "I'll be here if you need me" Greg smiles as he places a hand on Alex's shoulder.