Amir ibn Amere Al Akhad

Start from the beginning

“Hey, you’re yelling at the wrong Bakkad, here. I’m on your side,” Manu responded, patiently taking a pull from his pipe.

Amir turned back towards the view of the village and looked out at the silently falling snow to calm his temper.  Manu was right, as he often was; he’d been able to help Amir with sword training, with target practice and languages, with learning the customs and traditions of the U’mteki, but Manu could not grant Amir permission to travel to Nasai.  Only his guardian, Nakar, or Chief Umanja could do that and Nakar had already said that it wasn’t safe and the Chief had agreed.

“Come,” Manu said quietly, placing his hand upon Amir’s shoulder.  “You may be able to convince the old man to let you go if he’s in good spirits, and he is very proud of you tonight. If my father will grant you leave to travel then I’m certain that Nakar will not object. Come down to the festivities, smile, dance with a few girls, and wait for the Chief to become merry with drink: then ask him again. It might work.”

Manu’s grin was mischievous and Amir grinned back despite himself.  Chief Umanja was fond of Simi fruit wine and Manu was likely right again.

“Fine,” Amir agreed.  “But if it doesn’t work, I’m coming after you for making me dance.”

Manu chuckled.  “Agreed.”

Manu held open the tower door and allowed Amir to enter first and they descended the winding staircase towards the gathering hall below where lively melodies from wind-flutes and long-horns could be heard. The robust aromas of spiced bread and roasted snow bull wafted up the steps towards them and Amir sensed the excitement and jubilance before they reached the entrance to the hall.  They reached the arched doorway, framed by winter wreaths with silver and blue ribbons, and Manu grinned at him as the hall erupted with congratulations and applause when they entered.  U’mteki clansmen and friends from the villages surged forward with congratulations and gifts, both in a show of respect for the Chief and as a display of affection for Amir. 

Long wooden tables and benches had been set up in aisles across the hall for the guests and were covered with embroidered tablecloths in the blue and silver colors of U’mtek.  There were multi-colored twinkling lights draped along the high ceiling and the village musicians played their flutes and horns before the great windows.  Cooking pits filled with racks of roasted snow bull, white crows and spotted trout lined the far wall and filled the room with aromas that would certainly bring the wolves in later tonight.  Feasting tables were laden with spiced bread, flat rolls, boiled rice and winter stews and the dessert table was covered with pink and yellow pastries, jelly filled cakes, nuts, pulu fruit and platters of honey bread.

It didn’t matter to the U’mteki that Amir’s was not of their tribe and the Bakkad clan had welcomed him and had treated him like one of their own so their congratulations were genuine; his achievement was seen as an achievement for the whole clan. Amir smiled at Chief Umanja when their eyes met from across the hall, truly grateful for all that he had done for him, and then looked towards his mentor, Nakar El Amra, who was seated beside the grinning Umanja at the Chief’s table.  Although Nakar’s expression was solemn Amir sensed through his eseere that Nakar was also pleased. Nakar had been his closest confidant over the years and was the only one besides Manu who knew about Amir’s gifts.

“Congratulations, dear boy,” Aleksi Keetak, High Chief Umanja’s brother-in-law, exclaimed loudly over the din of the music and ongoing chatter as he cut off Amir and Manu’s advance towards the Chief’s table.

Baron Aleksi Keetak was the only brother of Umanja’s first wife, the Baroness Katiya, and although Aleksi had the reputation of being a gambler and a man of the darker, less honorable talents, he had been nothing but jovial and generous with Amir.  Aleksi’s light blue eyes glittered cheerfully as he embraced Amir tightly, lifting him from the floor.