IV

Dad came with us to the doctor's today. He had to get off work, but he said that my health was more important. The doctors did all of the normal stuff like put a rubber arm band on me which got all tight, put the "stethoscope" up to my heart, and felt my neck, but they also put me in this long, white machine that made me feel like I was in a space ship. They called in an "MRI". They also took "tissue samples" and that part hurt a bit. I still don't like the doctor's.

*sigh*

We had to wait in the waiting room a very long time before they could get any test results. I played with the blocks and toy cars they had in the play area, but Mom and Dad just sat in the chairs. They looked nervous. I don't like it when they're nervous.

*sigh*

After the very long time was over, a doctor finally called my name so we could get the results. Mom and Dad made me stay in the play area while the doctors told them about my tests. There were a lot of doctors there. Usually, when I normally come, there is only one doctor. This time, there were five, all hovering around Mom and Dad. They all looked very solemn and nervous, like Mom and Dad before. But, after they began to talk, Mom burst into tears. Dad hugged her close into his shoulder and the doctors looked sad too. I didn't know what it meant.

*sigh* 

Soon afterwards, Mom came over to the play area with a doctor standing behind her. Her eyes were bloodshot and her cheeks were a blotchy red. I could see the tears still welling in her eyes."Honey..." She said as she put her hand on my shoulder and forced her face into a smile. "We need you to come here a minute." Another tear rolled down her cheek as I stood up and took her hand. She squeezed it extra tight as we walked back into one of the examination rooms. Dad was sitting in a chair in the corner. He looked too shocked to speak, or even move. "Honey..." She said again. "The doctors found something." She sniffled and wiped her eyes. "Something... that isn't supposed to be there." I could tell it was hard for her not to cry, so I just sat still and kept hold of her hand. "It's called a tumor..." She let out a brief sob and turned to the doctor. "I'm sorry, this..." Another sniffle. "Is just too hard...."

"I understand." He placed his hand on his shoulder. "Would you like one of us to explain it?"

"N-No..." She stuttered a bit as she spoke. "I'll do it." She breathed in, seeming a bit stronger. "I need to do it." She turned back to me. "It's not supposed to be there, and it can't be taken out."

"Why not?" None of what she was saying made any sense to me. If something isn't supposed to be there, the logical answer is to take it out.

"Oh, honey." Is all she said. "Oh, honey." Then she cried, again.

"Mom!" I told her. "It'll be OK! I can take more of the 'Tylenol' and we can go to the park!" She seemed like she wanted to say something, but it was just too hard so she just squeezed my hand tighter. "We can play on the swings, even though you just like to sit on the bench! You'll never be too old to have fun!" She just broke down, putting her head on my knees. I didn't know what was happening. Why was she sad? Why hadn't Dad spoken? What was a "tumor"? And why were all of the doctors looking at me like there was no hope left in the world? "It-it... It'll be OK!" I put my other hand on my shoulder. It was all just so confusing.

*sigh*