Ch. 6 - Flew The Coop

Chapter Six - Flew The Coop -

-

The party of four pushed glass diner doors open and an attached bells alerted the waitress of new customers. She rounded the counter corner wearing blue jeans, a white shirt, and a red apron with menus in hand.

"Welcome to Patriot Diner, table or booth?" she greeted with forced enthusiasm.

Ghost and Shadow stood at the rear and left the social interaction to Hunter. They took in every inch of their surroundings, noting where each person sat; the trucker sitting on a stool drinking coffee, the cook bustling around in the kitchen, and more importantly the business man sitting in a booth by himself reading the newspaper. The two were certain the paper contained an article regarding Raven's disappearance and likely included a missing persons picture. The possibility that she'd be recognized registered within their minds.

"Booth please." Hunter answered the middle aged waitress.

The woman nodded before taking notice of Raven's wrapped wrist.

"Dear, what happened?" she wondered aloud.

Hunter looked to Raven with a slight warning in his eyes, reminding her to be cautious with her words.

"Oh, it's nothing," Raven mused with a slightly shaky voice, "I tripped and landed on it wrong."

The woman didn't seem to believe the common excuse and looked at Hunter with suspicion. Raven registered the danger she was in and decided to distract the waitresses thoughts.

"Do you have a bathroom?"

The woman smiled and all suspicion seemed to fade with it, "Yes dear, down at the end of the isle."

Raven excused herself and hastened towards the direction of the ladies room. Hunter watched her leave with piercing eyes before following the waitress to a nearby booth.

"The man wearing the suite over there might recognize your pet." Shadow informed Hunter once they were alone.

"If he registers who she is we'll deal with it then. For now, what's good?" Hunter replied while scanning a menu with a dull expression. It really didn't matter what he ordered, he wouldn't taste the food.

While the three men contemplated the meal to come Raven stood leaned against a sink, staring at her terrified reflection, while trying to calm her rapid breathing. Her heart beat with such force she was sure the organ was attempting to rip itself free of its bodily restraint. Alone within the dinner's dimly lit bathroom, time seemed to stop. Raven was left alone with all her fearful thoughts. Panic had a firm grip and any attempt to calm herself proved futile. Raven became dizzy as she slowly slumped to the cold tiled floor.

Tears poured down Raven's face as the reality of her situation settled. Leaning her head back and opening her eyes, she noticed something that gave her hope above; a window. Her vision cleared as the possibility of escape overpowered her fear. Raven moved the metal garbage bin under the small square exit and hastily climbed up and out. Once she managed to slip through the opening, she landed roughly on the dirt covered ground and looked around at her surroundings.

Raven found herself behind the building with the options of running into the bright parking lot to the left, or the dark forest to the right. She contemplated running to the cheap motel for help first but decided against it after realizing she'd likely have to pass by Hunter and his gang sitting in a booth. She figured they wouldn't react well to her escape and knew they weren't fazed by murder. Not wanting anyone else to get hurt due to Hunter's obsession, she decided the woods seemed like the best hiding place. Raven forced herself to move her feet and began running through the thick vegetation.