Truth

A/N: finally an update lol! I want to dedicate this to logencecea for their avid support of my stories! You're awesome! Comment and vote!

"So what's going on with your man friend?"

The secret had grown too much to burden a few years ago and I had regretfully informed Cam of my complex relationship with Josh. He brought it up on occasion and wondered why I hid our relationship so desperately. What he didn't know what that our old job was something I participated in still. After Orion's true father died something had changed in Cam--or perhaps he finally found a way to demonize something he was desperately against. Either way he wouldn't understand and I didn't blame him--I didn't understand.

"He's...good. Fine. The harvest was good to him."

"Good, good." Cam nodded along and I realized he honestly didn't care--he was filling up the space between us.

Casey was still waiting my for his father to come down and bring him on his walk and I could tell Cam was looking for some pain relief. He was, as Red so kindly pointed out, quite fond of them. "How's your stomach?"

"Oh fine! I didn't think he'd actually kicked me..." Cam sighed heavily. "God what's taking so long?"

I lifted and dropped my shoulder, moving a hot pan of sauce from Casey's reach. While he was slow and clumsy ninety percent of the time other times he had a lightening hand--especially when it came to touching things he shouldn't. "Did I tell you the shit Red pulled earlier?" Cam said suddenly. "He bought Sterling a phone."

"Doesn't he have one?"

"He did. He broke it. And then Red goes out and rewards that kind of destructive behavior! And Sterling can be just awful sometimes. He can act just like--" Cam pursed his lips but I could read between the lines. Just like Red. "Nine hundred without so much of a consideration to ask me. I get it, he's my mate. I'm an omega but--"

The doors swung open and Cam silenced himself as Red came in. He shook the pill bottle teasingly, holding it just up above Cam's reach. "Red." Cam whined tiredly.

It was endearing, making the past conversation melt away and Cam stood on his tiptoes. Red lowered his mouth to kiss him harshly. His hand tangled in Cam's hair. It was easy to skim over it as a passionate embrace but there was a different energy to it. Cam's hands pressed against Red's chest trying to dislodge himself. Cam made a small noise of objection and I realized how close Cam's back was to hot griddle surface.

Is he doing it on purpose?

There was a soft sound then the sharp smell met my nose. Cam choked against Red's kiss and the smell of burnt flesh assaulted my senses. "Red!"

Red backed off Cam who leapt from the hot stove with a shiny gaze--unshed tears. "I'm sorry hon--I didn't notice how close you were you to it." His tone sounded sincere but there was something so menacing about his behavior earlier. Something didn't make sense.

"I'm fine. Can I just have--"

"Of course you can." He handed him the bottle and turned to smile at me. "Thanks Mason--we get caught up you know. Mates will do that."

My blood ran cold at his subtle snideness. My mark prickled and I felt emotionally struck. "Red." Cam's voice was soft but scorning.

Red smiled. "I was just teasing Mason. Casey--how about some ice cream?"

"He hasn't eaten dinner yet." Cam's voice didn't hold its usual tone. It was submissive--pointing out something they Red had the option to ignore.

"C'mon Casey sweetheart." Red glanced back at Cam. "We'll see you in a few hours. Maybe we'll get food first?"