The Worst Kind of Pain

Seventeen year old Stephanie walked down the hall while people glared at her.

   "Freak" "Lesbian" and more vial names got shouted at her. They broke her heart more and more everyday. She hid her arms from her girlfriend, Autumn, because she knew Autumn would get pissed at her and make her stop cutting.

   Stephanie tried to ignore everyone and opened her locker. On the inside of the door was a picture of her babe. A picture of Autumn sat taped to her door. Stephanie smiled. For a minute she forgot all the mean names people called her. Autumn made her happy and helped her forget all the rude names.

   "Hi babe!" someone said behind her.

   Stephanie turned around and saw her beautiful girlfriend, Autumn.

   "Hey," Stephanie said with a fake smile.

   "Everything OK?"

   "Everything is fine." Stephanie lied.

   Autumn shifted her weight to one leg, crossed her arms and gave Stephanie a defiant look.

   "What?" Stephanie asked.

   "Don't lie to me."

   "I'm not."

   "Stop lying!"

   "OK, OK. Those kids called me those names again."

   "Oh, baby, what did I tell you about those assholes?"

   "Don't listen to them..."

   "Then don't."

   Stephanie sighed.

   "I love you, honey," Autumn said.

   She smiled, her straight white teeth made her green eyes shimmer. Stephanie's legs wobbled from how beautiful she was.

   "I love you, too."

   Autumn hugged Stephanie.

   Stephanie smiled.

   The school bell rang and the girl's embrace ended.

   "I'll see you after class, OK," Autumn said.

   "OK," Stephanie said.

   Stephanie reached for Autumn's hand; their finger tips brushed and Autumn was sucked into the crowd of kids heading to class. Stephanie grabbed her books, closed her locker and joined the swarm of kids.