FOURTEEN

the search for something more pt

the search for something more pt.2

---

After a few short minutes, each of them had picked out their items. They quickly purchased them and walked outside together. "Did you see what that saleswoman was wearing?" Nathan chuckled, shutting the door loudly behind him.

"Or not wearing. Here, you go first." Carly giggled. She watched Nathan open his gift, eagerly waiting for his reaction. He pulled out a pair of socks, his expression seemingly unimpressed. "Socks?"

"I was playing it safe, you know they had men's lingerie in there. DO you want me to go exchange it?" Carly teased. The grimace on Nathan's face gave her the answer. "That's what I thought. What did you get me?" She grabbed the bag out of his hands.

"Open it and see." Carly opened the bag and gasped. There, in the bag, was the black lacy top she had tried on earlier that day with Brooke and Peyton. She had ultimately regretted not buying it and had gone back to the store later in the day to buy it, only to find it had been sold.

"Oh my gosh...thank you, Nate. I love it." She grinned up at him. She knew Brooke somehow pulled some strings to get her the top but Nathan had been the one to give it to her, which meant everything in the world to her.

"Hey, don't say I never gave you anything." He teased, causing Carly to laugh quietly. She clutched her gift close to her chest, cherishing it more and more. "Okay, if we go to this next place and we hate it, then we can just get some pizza, alright?" Carly nodded, grabbing Nathan's hand and walking towards the direction of their next destination.

---

They approached the restaurant that was located by the waterfront. It was nice, expensive, and quiet. Carly had been to the restaurant a few times, mostly for birthdays or with her father when he wanted to makeup for his absence.

Carly and Nathan took a seat at the table Brooke had reserved for them. They each grabbed a menu from the waiter; Carly placed hers down and grabbed the pink envelope that was awaiting them. She quickly ripped it open, reading over the cards contents, laughing lightly at them.

"To be honest, I'm a little afraid." Nathan confessed, earning a quick laugh from the each of them. "Order your favorite dish for the other person."

"Any chance your favorite dish is prime rib?" Nathan asked, a teasing glint in his eye. "Oh, yeah. Liam and I make it all the time at my house." Carly rolled her eyes, a light smile on her face. The pair fell silent, looking at their menus.

"I'm not very experienced with this, so, um—" Nathan began before Carly cut him off. "Ordering food?" She teased, her grin so wide you could see it from miles away.

"No." Nathan chuckled. "I mean, with Peyton, it was all just parties and games and drama. We never really did anything like this. This is different." Carly nodded along, resting her elbows on the table. She leaned forward to express that she was listening to him.