SEVEN

all that you can't leave behind

---

The cool, brisk air of Tree Hill surrounded Carly as she walked down the street towards Karen's Café. She pulled her jacket closer to her body, giggling at something Haley had said.

Haley had requested that Carly come along to the café to pick up her paycheck in case she ran into Lucas. Carly had been well informed of their argument on the way to the café, as well as when they were studying for midterms at Haley's house.

They approach the door to the café. The sign read 'CLOSED' but Haley knew better, she took out he keys and opened the door. Lucas sat perched on a barstool, no doubt reading the next T.H.U.D magazine issue to see Peyton's comic.

Carly went to walk inside the doorway after Haley when she was suddenly pushed back by Haley muttering a 'let's go.' Carly followed after her, looking through the window to see Lucas running out the door and towards them.

"Haley!" He shouted, causing Haley to turn around. "How long are we gonna do this?" He asked. Carly watched silently as the two friends skirted around each other.

"Do what?" Haley shot back, deciding to play it off like it didn't happen.

"Avoid each other."

Haley folded her arms over her chest and scoffed, "You tell me. You're the one upset."

"And you're the one who lied to me." Lucas shot back. Carly let out a small breath through her lips, awkwardly standing feet away from the fighting friends.

Haley rolled her eyes, "I don't know what to say to you Luke."

Lucas took steps toward the girl. "Just explain to me why you were with Nathan." He pleaded. His eyes flickered over to Carly, whose eyes widened at the eye contact they made.

"Huh? I mean, considering the past few weeks and what he's done." Carly grew confused. It seemed like Lucas was talking to her rather than Haley but she decided to brush it off.

"I can't." Haley shrugged.

Lucas stepped back as if he had been stung by her words. He raised an accusatory finger at the brunette. "You know how I feel about him Haley." He walked back towards the door of the café. Haley let out a noise of discontent.

"Lucas! Fine!" She yelled, aggravated at the boy. He spun around to meet her gaze. "Yes, I know how you feel about him, but there is something that you don't know."

Lucas looked towards Carly once more who nodded at Haley's statement. He shrugged urging her to continue.

"She promised him she'd tutor him if he left you alone." Carly finally decided to jump into the conversation before it got more out of hand. She stepped forward in between the couple.