Part I: Chapter Thirty-Three - A New Enemy

Anne looked sorrowfully at her mother as Lady Anne de Beauchamp entered her chambers. She nodded to tell her mother the news was true and then Lady Anne's pace quickened and she was holding Anne.

"We must send for Duchess Cecily, she deserves to be with her loyal son." Anne told her mother. "I shall write to her. She must be broken."

"I think she should prefer the warmth of her own home." Lady Anne cupped her daughter's face in her hand. She wondered how Anne was still mourning Isabelle, she did know how. Lady Anne de Beauchamp believed she would never stop mourning her daughter but as time ran on she did. But Anne was the younger daughter and she was not so close to her elder sister. So why were her eyes filled with tears each time Lady Anne de Beauchamp greeted her, why did she seek her mothers love and comfort so often?

"But she should like to be with Richard." Anne said. "If she could be here when he returns that would cheer him."

"Indeed it should but I think Duchess Cecily should want to stay in her home to mourn, there she will feel safe. She will want her own household around her, people she trusts."

"She trusts me." Anne said a little offended by her mothers words. She wished she could take everyone harmed by that witch Queen into her household. She'd even take the princesses if it meant their safety from her curses, anyone.

"You know what I mean." Lady Anne de Beauchamps told her daughter. "Were you happy with Margaret of Anjou when you heard of your fathers death? No you weren't. Were you not happier, better off, when Isabelle died for you had your Edward, Richard, your ladies and me caring for you."

"Yes, but..."

"Then Duchess Cecily shall remain in London. When she is wel, when she has recovered from the greif of her child, her most beloved child, then she may come to Middleham, or Barnard. Where ever you see fit to accomodate her." Lady Anne de Beauchamp. "For now we must ensure that your sisters children are safe. We shall see they are with us. See they are well."

***

Richard was sure his brother was still with him, he could feel him like a weight although he said nothing. He was just there. He had bathed four times, slept four nights but his brother lingered on.

He had dared not seek an audience with the king. He presumed he would too be taken into the Tower and killed like George had been.

Anne. What if that witch was to poison his Anne? He had to get to her before they could. He wished he had not delayed, but his mother had needed comfort. George was afterall her favourite child the one she pined for all the time Edward was king. She had been a state but within hours of learning of George's brutal death she was again 'proud cis' she sat tall again and she did not weep. It was like she never lost a child at all. Although Richard was sure she was quietly plotting her revenge.

It was little after sunrise when Richard mounted his horse in the stables. He paid the stable boy a good sum for his silence before spurring the horse off onto the road to Warwick. His brothers children needed caring for, they would be under his protection now. They would not fall under King Edwards, he would not let them.

As he rode on Richard became amazed how his hatred for his brother Edward had grown in a matter of weeks. They had argued, that was nothing new, but Edward had the nerve to kill George. Not only kill him but drown him, in a vat of wine. George did not even have the curtesey of a noble death on the block. Perhaps it wasn't even the king, maybe it was his wife. Richard shuddered at the thought of that witch ruling his brother. Perhaps that was why it was Anthony Woodville and Richard Grey that did the deed.

"I will avenge you, brother." Richard said as if George was truly riding along side him. He wished he was. He would give anything to heard George's laugh, hear his voice. No matter how much he had hated him. He still loved him. He was his brother. "I will."