Part I: Chapter Thirty - A Waiting Game

It had been almost a year since George Plantagenet, Duke of Clarence had first stepped foot into his cell. Most importantly almost a year since he had seen his children. Margaret his beloved daughter would be four going on five and Ned three. How could he be missing so much, they would be grown before he next saw them. His greatest fear, however, was that upon his release they would not recognise him. He had grown a rough beard and was just a pile bones. He had even forgotten the last time he had reason to smile. So his lips stayed still in a thin stern expression waiting for something to change.

He never thought that King Edward would have it in him to kill him. Fratricide. He was sure his brother would not commit such a sin. Even Edward had some restraints, and it was on Edward's restraints that George relied as he sat in his prison cell waiting for the jailer to one day unlock his shackles and set him free. He longed to feel the fresh air on his face once more. Although he could see his face not being so handsome as it had once been, he had visions of looking like an old man when he emerged from that dark room. His eyes sagged and skin wrinkling from exhaustion. He already felt like one with saw joints and constant pain.

His hand brushed over the scar on his neck. He had done that. He remembered how the blood had run down his neck. Why didn't they let him die his own way?

In a way George longed for death, that is what happened to all when charged with treason but he was the Kings brother so Edward had refused to kill him. Not then, but perhaps his attitudes had changed. Perhaps the next time the keys rattled it would be the executioner coming for his head.